Warranty Question

chronicblunt

LVC Member
Reaction score
The first month i had my ls i went a little crazy with it and it was my first time driving a manual. I'm sure i must have done a lot of wear on it. can i take it in and have ford just check everything out and does the warranty still cover it if it was my fault? what parts in particular would i have damaged if any?

:bash:

I think you'll have to be much more specific about what was damaged, before you'll get the answer you're looking for.

well i dont know anything about the internals so i was trying to find out what i should have them look at.. i'm moving in a month and i want it handled before then. i figure if i have the warranty i might as well have everything at 100%.

if yer talking about u wearing out your clutch.. no its not covered. only way ford would replace a clutch under warranty is if something else that was covered ruined it.

Any other part that would cause it to fail which is any number of things that could be possible. However after diagnostics they'll be able to tell what caused it, be it another part or the driver.

This also goes for aftermarket parts, they cannot void any warranty on a car if you 'have' aftermarket parts unless they 'legitimately' can prove those aftermarket parts caused whatever that you're in service for to fail.

You cannot take a car in for warranty and say "just check it out" and expect them to fix anything. That's not what it's for. If you have a specific problem, they will fix it if it's covered.

Your clutch may very well be covered if you have less than 12,000 miles on it. They will usually cover it in that time frame. After that, it's like was said here...you need to have something else cause it (oil leak, broken TOB, etc) before you will get it covered.

2001LS8Sport said:
You cannot take a car in for warranty and say "just check it out" and expect them to fix anything. That's not what it's for. If you have a specific problem, they will fix it if it's covered.

Your clutch may very well be covered if you have less than 12,000 miles on it. They will usually cover it in that time frame. After that, it's like was said here...you need to have something else cause it (oil leak, broken TOB, etc) before you will get it covered.

Yeah, be careful. A diagnostic fee may run yo nearly $100.

captainalias said:
Yeah, be careful. A diagnostic fee may run yo nearly $100.
well i was thinking about taking my car in to check the a/c, it does't seem like its as cold as it should be

so you're saying if I take it in and tell them what i just typed they're going to charge me a diagnostic fee (i'm still under warranty)

also does anyone know what covered in the maitanence warranty

stateproperty3423 said:
well i was thinking about taking my car in to check the a/c, it does't seem like its as cold as it should be

so you're saying if I take it in and tell them what i just typed they're going to charge me a diagnostic fee (i'm still under warranty)

also does anyone know what covered in the maitanence warranty

That's what I thought too, and asked them to look at my rbakes, and lo and behold, was charged a $98 diagnostic fee.

captainalias said:
That's what I thought too, and asked them to look at my rbakes, and lo and behold, was charged a $98 diagnostic fee.

That sounds about right Captain. Like I said...just going in and saying to check something just to see if there is a problem will cost you. If you had come in and said "my brakes are squeeling, pulling, pulsating, etc., that would be different. Now they have a specific complaint to look at and they can file a warranty claim.

I know of a guy who took his truck in at 35,500 miles and told them he wanted everything looked at before it went off warranty so he could get it repaired. That's all he said. They went over the car with a fine tooth comb. Checked compression, pulled the rear diff cover, all kinds of stuff. Everything was up to snuff. Charged him $500...which was a very fair price for all they did. They spent most of the day on that thing. He was pissed...but didn't get his truck until he paid it. Maybe the dealership should have told him upfront what it would cost him to do this...or maybe he shouldn't have been such an ass his previous trips...but they didn't screw him either. They did just exactly what he said and they deserve to be paid for services rendered.

2001LS8Sport said:
That sounds about right Captain. Like I said...just going in and saying to check something just to see if there is a problem will cost you. If you had come in and said "my brakes are squeeling, pulling, pulsating, etc., that would be different. Now they have a specific complaint to look at and they can file a warranty claim.

I know of a guy who took his truck in at 35,500 miles and told them he wanted everything looked at before it went off warranty so he could get it repaired. That's all he said. They went over the car with a fine tooth comb. Checked compression, pulled the rear diff cover, all kinds of stuff. Everything was up to snuff. Charged him $500...which was a very fair price for all they did. They spent most of the day on that thing. He was pissed...but didn't get his truck until he paid it. Maybe the dealership should have told him upfront what it would cost him to do this...or maybe he shouldn't have been such an ass his previous trips...but they didn't screw him either. They did just exactly what he said and they deserve to be paid for services rendered.

Well, actually, I told the mechanic there were two problems with the car- the brakes were making a squealing noise, and the front plastic panel underneath the car had fallen off. He repaired neither, and charged me $98 for looking at it. He did say that if the brake calipers were broken, then he could've fixed it for me under warranty.

So my question is, what things are covered under warranty?! I'm also due for my 30K checkup soon, and how much should I expect that to run? Do the costs vary depending on location of the FLM dealership?

you should know what you warranty covers...call up any ford dealer and have them look in the oasis system under your vin number (if its a ford warranty) i just took my LS in the shop, agreed to pay 180$ to just look at the engine and tranny, and what was wrong was covered by warranty so the fee was waived...warrantys are godly

LS Gets U Wet said:
you should know what you warranty covers...call up any ford dealer and have them look in the oasis system under your vin number (if its a ford warranty) i just took my LS in the shop, agreed to pay 180$ to just look at the engine and tranny, and what was wrong was covered by warranty so the fee was waived...warrantys are godly

It was my own stupid fault, I agree, but $98 seems a bit steep, especially since he didn't even diagnose the problem correctly. I took it to a second mechanic, a non-FLM dealer, and he found the problem right away. I guess in the cases where the warranty does cover the part, it's a godsend. In other cases, not so much.

brakes are tricky when it comes to warranty. Brakes should be 12/12, but rotors should be 3/36. Each vehicle is diffrent. I can check for if you like. There is a book called the "Warranty and Policy Manuel." This book contains the language on whether a certian part or problem is covered. I can refer to this for if you like.

cblood said:
brakes are tricky when it comes to warranty. Brakes should be 12/12, but rotors should be 3/36. Each vehicle is diffrent. I can check for if you like. There is a book called the "Warranty and Policy Manuel." This book contains the language on whether a certian part or problem is covered. I can refer to this for if you like.

Thanks cblood, but that's alright. My car is just past 3/36 anyhow, so it won't make much difference.

Members online

Back