W3Z2 question

93mark8rules

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of putting the 93 ECU in my 94 Mar. What I got from reading on here is the W3Z2 comes with an F2 or F3 code. Are they the same or different tunes. It seems like the topic has been debated but no one has actually given a definitive answer.

i'm sure i've given a definitive answer somewhere along the line.
the tunes are different. maybe not in power, but my F3 is speed limited and other's F2 were not.
IMO, save the money, get a tune.

So the tune is the same I just cant go over 130? Originally I was going to try the Blue Oval Chips chip that Ive read about but his website doesnt work so Im wondering if he is out of business. Then I thought about a tune but its a large investment between buying the chip the software and everything else, then taking it to be tuned on the dyno I'll be in it for close to $1000. If the W3Z2 has a slight increase, Ill probably be happy with it, and then I can look for a Cobra 28 spline center section and hopefully get 3.73 gears and the car will feel faster anyway.

i didn't notice much difference between a w3z3 and a w3z2.
not much power difference with my blue oval tune either, but the shift schedule made the car much better to drive.
if you get a blue oval tune, call first to make sure he is doing business, he's hit or miss.
there are a few other tuners out there as well, but i only have experience with blue oval.

IMO, no need for a dyno on mostly stock car.

Ive been wanting to chip the car for a while and have read a ton of posts but maybe Im misunderstanding something. From what I understand I need to buy a chip (some are using a multi setting chip), then the software to program the chip, then a data logger to see how my tune is. I forget the names of the software but I remember one of them being extremely expensive. But I figure if I am going through all that why wouldnt I bring it to a tuner and have him max it out?

Really the price of kooks headers is enough to keep me from trying to build the Mark up too much. You could almost buy another car and gut it shaving a few hundred LBS off the car is probably equal to the gain from a set of headers and have a dedicated race car for the price of the headers. So my hopes were to do some kind of performance tune and try and get a little more out of the car, buy a mandrel bent exhaust kit, do away with the 3rd cat and install an x Pipe, with Magnaflow mufflers, and run a K & N air filter and maybe if Im lucky Ill get 295 HP. Then change out to a Trac Lok with 3.73 gears, and a higher volume fuel pump, and see what I have. I got My first Mark VIII at 20 years old before that my daily driver was a 79 Trans AM with a 455 Olds big block I built in it, I loved it but everyone wanted me to get a newer car and noting in 2002 interested me then I drove the Mark VIII and it was the only "newish" car that still drove like a muscle car. Now Im on my 3rd one and Ive always been kind of happy with the stock performance I just want something more out of it..... I was hoping the super charged cobra motors would be cheaper by now but I dont think that ever going to happen...

you need a chip, your tuner of choice will load the tune for you, all you do is plug it in.
tunes for stock or mostly stock mark viii's are pretty established at this point, no need to go real crazy with the tuning.
the w3z2 already has a fairly aggressive spark table so there isn't much room for improvement there. the fuel table is quite rich though, so you can make some power by leaning it out a bit.
the real gain is in the trans. ford set it up to be soft, so by firming it up you can really improve the feel and performance.

re; someone to do a tune, I can vouch for Aaron Leil/ Tru Dyno Sports in Conover , NC..if you're on the MarkVIII Enthusiast Community (on Facebook) Lance Barker is a widely respected tuner....plan on around $400 for an OBD1 tune

Mine does 2 things that the rest do not appear to. Lets the motor see 6 grand for all shifts and is not speed limited. I nearly lost my sun roof. ;)

With any of these recommended tunes, what are the cars showing for extra horsepower? My car is a '98 LSC with the only change being K&N with box relief. Very minimal change, but better mileage. I want to be able to spank my neighbor in his '92 Corvette. Do I have a prayer? He only has 300hp plus the weight differential.

you'll want gears, a stall converter, a trans cooler, a JMOD, a tune to account for these changes, and good tires.
do all that before you go chasing hp numbers.

pengun, the early Z2 has a rev limit of around 6700, with no limiter, so that's very possible.

side note, i have lost a sunroof.

you'll want gears, a stall converter, a trans cooler, a JMOD, a tune to account for these changes, and good tires.
do all that before you go chasing hp numbers.

pengun, the early Z2 has a rev limit of around 6700, with no limiter, so that's very possible.

side note, i have lost a sunroof.
Is your subwoofer bolted in place?

Do you really need to change the converter if you go with 3.73's?

On a side note I already have a rebuilt trans with JMOD, General Altimax HP tires, and a K&N Air Filter...

Why does everyone make such a big deal about the rev limiter? Isnt the motor going to grenade if I rev the crap out of it? I thought that was the whole point?

Do you really need to change the converter if you go with 3.73's?

On a side note I already have a rebuilt trans with JMOD, General Altimax HP tires, and a K&N Air Filter...

Why does everyone make such a big deal about the rev limiter? Isnt the motor going to grenade if I rev the crap out of it? I thought that was the whole point?

The intech dual overhead cam motors are supposed to be golden to 7 grand stock. The horse power peaks at 5,500 and I delight in pulling off 6 grand 1 - 2 shifts right beside my current victim. It just sounds so sweet. A treat for all. ;)

Actually Ive done that on the stock trans and it chirps the tires nice, but with the JMOD it almost wants to bring the ass around its pretty damn cool....

Ive driven old muscle cars with around a 2400 stall but I noticed the car always feels kind of slushy almost like a slipping trans until the converter locks, does it feel like that or does the computer compensate for it? Its my daily driver that ends up in traffic a lot, thats why I ask.

Actually Ive done that on the stock trans and it chirps the tires nice, but with the JMOD it almost wants to bring the ass around its pretty damn cool....
Oh I've had it sideways with a stock tranny doing this. In fact I'm quite careful about the surface because of things like that. It does not come back as easily as most of the cars I've owned, I blame traction control.

Members online

No members online now.
Back