VIN Request

hrlincoln

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I sold my old bumper cover on E-Bay 2 months ago and just now the buyer is requesting the VIN and other information about my car that I consider personal.

He claims his 03 LS was stolen and after recovery became salvage. So he plans to keep it and replace missing parts. He states it is needed for salvage inspection and needs that information for used parts in New jersey.

Does this sound legit ?

Name and address of the buyer,
Name and address of the seller,
The date and purchase price of the part,
Description of the part,
Vehicle identification number, make, model from which the part was removed,
Date the part was dismantled

Tell him to crap in his hat. It sounds legit, but there's no way he can possibly account for every repair piece he gets in such a fashion. Just tell him to tell NJ that he got it from bumpers.com.

I heard that some people doing these salvage projects do VIN cloning. Now thats scary.

I had the same thing happen to me too. I sold a bumper and the guy kept threatening me about a VIN number to give to his body shop in NJ. Look on autotrader.com and give him a VIN off of someone elses car, haha. The dealers usually put the VIN's in their ads.

With that information, he could easily get a key made to fit your car. Bye Bye LS...

But I would think he's going to try and retitle his car and get rid of the salvage designation. Whatever you do, don't give him anything! If what he says is true in New Jersey, tell him to take it out of state and have it fixed because there is no way in hell you're giving him that information.

can't you just call your BMV to see if this is BS or not?

Members online

No members online now.
Back