[VIDEO INSIDE] Ticking sound :(

So this is the exact area the sound is coming from.

I don't know what this part is...anyone? What is under these things? Chains? Coils? Plugs?

22.JPG

So does anyone know what these parts are? I hope it's nothing serious, I took it to Ford and they said they never heard this before, and they've heard quite a lot of different sounds coming from the Lincoln LS, but nothing like this.

They said the only way for them to find it, is to tear the whole thing apart, and it could take a while and cost a bunch. Just want to find out a general idea of what this part is, so at least I can tell them where to start.

The areas you have marked are where the chains and guides/tensioners are located. There was a good thread a couple of years ago by someone who changed those parts. He did it in the car. I'd drop the engine out to do the work. Probably the same degree of effort, but not the sort that requires a whole lot of turning fasteners a sixteenth at a time due to lack of room.
KS

The areas you have marked are where the chains and guides/tensioners are located. There was a good thread a couple of years ago by someone who changed those parts. He did it in the car. I'd drop the engine out to do the work. Probably the same degree of effort, but not the sort that requires a whole lot of turning fasteners a sixteenth at a time due to lack of room.
KS

Ahhhh I see. I will search for this thread with diligence. Would you say that a loose timing chain could be a possibility of this unfamiliar noise? And if not fixed right away, will it destroy the engine? I have a power-train warranty on it, does this cover power-train? If not, I shall inquire on doing it myself. I appreciate your good help.

Yes it could destroy the engine because if the timing chain breaks or the cam gears break or if it slips than it will bend some or all of the valves. The pistons will come up while the valves are down if it is out of timing (jumps time) and bend them all and possibly score the cylinder walls. I would check with the warranty company first it will be a pretty hard job for someone that does not know alot about engines. (dont know your mechanical capabilities)But timing is a precise job and has to be done right. You must mark all the parts where the chains and gears are when you take them apart so that they go back exactly the same because if too far off the samething as I stated above will happen (bent valves)! But I would imagine if the warranty company is of any count than they will pay for it, I do know alot of the aftermarket warranty companies are scams too though!!! I would check into them doing a replacement of the timing chain, and see if they cover that. Than I would see if they cover any kind of tensioner replacement, and also I would see if they cover Cam gear replacement!!! All seperate because if they cover one and not the other and you cannot tell what it is until you tear it down than it might be the one they do not cover!!! Lets hope not. Or you could see if they cover a blown engine and if they do cover that and not the others just drive it until it BLOWS and get a new one for FREE!

That sounds terrible. I wander if I have any of the above symptoms, such as bent valves, pistons, or any component of the engine. The engine as of now, runs perfectly. It almost sounds as if the timing chain has a slight slack in it, and then when I hit the gas, it tightens back up. It isn't a constant sound, just a few clicks when I hit the gas, and when I hit the back. I've seen videos of others, and heard the sound as a constant clicking. I actually had to drive 900+ miles from Tennessee, to Texas to drop my car off before deployment to Afghanistan. I hope it didn't bend then, but the car still drives perfectly. So besides how it runs, is there anyway to have an idea without checking the engine naked? Like as to how it runs, any foreign sounds, or any abnormal engine activities?

ticking noise

Not sure if there is much difference between the 2000s and yours, but on my 2000 ls V8 i had a simmilar noise coming from the front of my motor, however it was on the passenger side, Its hard to tell though from your vid just how simmilar it is. But anyways the noise that was causing the clanking in the front of my motor ended up being the upper plastic timing chain tensioner that keeps tension on the exhaust chain. It sounded HORRIBLE and got worse and worse with throttle, i pulled lower exhaust cam and threw in a new timing chain tensioner and the noise is gone. IF you are still driving the car i would highly reccomend not, when the tensioners break alot of slack is in the chain and the chain can either skip a link or wear soo bad that it breaks (new heads). PM me if you need more info

Yeah, it's been the shop for about half a week now, but I should get a word in tomorrow. =\. Hopefully it's as simple as you say. If they can't find the problem, then I'll definitely try and check out what you say. Do you have yahoo or aim? I will be home for 2 weeks during RR in September, and that's when I will be turning the wrench.

Members online

Back