Very Annoying Ticking sound...

dj_jace

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone... I made a quick video clip of the ticking sound just for reference... This started probably about a month ago... I have gotten an oil change since then and the ticking persists... the sound is loudest when standing by the drivers side front tire... Also as I rev the tick gets faster... Any thoughts on what this could be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9m_jelbt6g

Chain slap like you posted there Frank does not sound same like the OP's posted vid.
your rattling vs his ticking.

Chain slap like you posted there Frank does not sound same like the OP's posted vid.
Going to agree on this... I watched that video in my search to try to figure this out amd didnt think it sounded the same at all...

My brother thpught it may be a lifter and told me to put a little atf in with the oil but ive read some horror stories about that clogging stuff up sso I didnt do that...

I also thought it might be air but not sure exactly where it may be coming from... maybe intake manifold gasketsits?

Its supposed to warm up a bit tomorrow so I may try to look at it tomorrow...

EDIT: Frank I did like the mysterious ticking video... lol... I may throw that in ableton and see what I can do with it.. haha...

Jace, in day light w/ hood open can you do another vid and try filming both sides of the heads near the fuel rails. Do an incremental RPM increase while filming each side. Are you 1st GEN if so you can do that by hand at the TB yourself while filming. I'm with Joe, sounds like injectors, myself I've got a slight tick but it's not at idle, I can hear it ever so slightly when I begin to put a load on it from a stand still, it annoys the F out of me, been told before, it's normal due to the noisy injectors. it's not my tentioners or chain as that noise is a distinctive one which this is not IMO.

^ "myself I've got a slight tick" ahah.gif

My LS has a slight tick, I meant of course!

EDIT: Jace, "a lifter"? seriously! come on now!

ahah.gif

Ok got the 2nd vid... I am 1st gen but forgot to do the revs... the tick does get faster with increased rpm's... I can go grab another video shortly if needed... Also i'm not sure about the ac compressor but you can see in this video that even when it's disengaged it still spins.. could this cause my bog down sometimes when coming to a stop? I already replaced the IAC and that wasn't the culprit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzTiMUetHJU

Oh, I wasn't posting it saying Jace's video sounded like those bad tensioners. I was legitimately asking what it sounded like, then edited the post realizing Youtube would definitely have the answer (after grabbing the Harry Potter video). I just posted them for future reference if someone takes a look at this thread later

Rather noisy ticking going on there, hate to say it but may be an internal issue, sounds too loud to be injectors but not the typical chain slap noise either.

EDIT: Hmmm, got me wondering now, is the sound comeing from near the lower back of the block or more up front at the covers where the secondary tentioners are? What about more prominent under the car where the cats begin? Manifold area? both sides equal?

About your AC clutch, you need to remove the inner part and add one or two shim washers. http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xc1011.htm~gen~ref.htm
Note that you only have to do a few of the steps shown to adjust the gap.

The 3.9 does not have any lifters, hydraulic or otherwise. It has tappets, which are pretty much the overhead cam version of solid lifters. http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x31019.htm~gen~ref.htm Shims are used to adjust valve clearance. You have to remove the cams to add or remove shims.

It still sounds like injectors to me. You can use a mechanic's stethoscope to find the louder ones to see if this is the issue. When you turn the key off (even with the engine revved up) if it is the injectors, the clicking should stop even before the engine has stopped turning.

Teach me something here; Do these V8 LS motors have what they call runner flaps inside the intakes that are controlled by vacuum and over time can go bad and cause clattering noise like this ticking?

What about not enough oil getting to the top end due to a clogged oil restrictor?
like in this video;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCkBGDuw4sI

This possible on our V8 LS'es ?

Like I said before, I have a slight tick in mine also but not near as bad as this, has me concerned though, no doubt.

... You can use a mechanic's stethoscope to find the louder ones to see if this is the issue. When you turn the key off (even with the engine revved up) if it is the injectors, the clicking should stop even before the engine has stopped turning.

Ok, interesting, thank you, I'll follow this advise and check it out. would I still be able to hear this even if it's a very light ticking that I can not hear at idle but will hear under load from inside while driving? I suppose it would?

No, the V8s do not have those.

on both counts of the runner flaps and oil restrictor?

Is it not possible for some passages to get clogged up and not provide enough oil to the top?

Ok, interesting, thank you, I'll follow this advise and check it out. would I still be able to hear this even if it's a very light ticking that I can not hear at idle but will hear under load from inside while driving? I suppose it would?

If you can't hear even the quietest ones clicking with the mechanic's stethoscope, then you have found a non-working fuel injector.

Rather noisy ticking going on there, hate to say it but may be an internal issue, sounds too loud to be injectors but not the typical chain slap noise either.

EDIT: Hmmm, got me wondering now, is the sound comeing from near the lower back of the block or more up front at the covers where the secondary tentioners are? What about more prominent under the car where the cats begin? Manifold area? both sides equal?
I think its louder from the bottom of the car more on the drivers side...

I think its louder from the bottom of the car more on the drivers side...

Where the AC compressor is... I suppose, that the sound doesn't change if the AC is on or off though.

It would be easy to take the oil pan off and see if you can spot any issue. I'd remove the belt and run the engine briefly first, just to eliminate external causes.

Where the AC compressor is... I suppose, that the sound doesn't change if the AC is on or off though.

It would be easy to take the oil pan off and see if you can spot any issue. I'd remove the belt and run the engine briefly first, just to eliminate external causes.
Yeah no difference with ac on or off... when the ac is off it makes its own sound... lol... also annoying... but its not the tick

Jace, do you know if your ticking started out as mild at first then got worse over time? I never had some ticking, when it first started, it went away when I did an oil change but the mild ticking returned and since has not gone with another oil change. Really hate for it to get any worse. Like I said, it's a slight ticking sound under load for me, ok at idle but in your case, it's rather excessive.

I'll get a chance soon enough and try what Joe recommends, listening individually to the injectors while turning the engine off, not the first time I've been told, it's at the injectors.

Jace, do you know if your ticking started out as mild at first then got worse over time? I never had some ticking, when it first started, it went away when I did an oil change but the mild ticking returned and since has not gone with another oil change. Really hate for it to get any worse. Like I said, it's a slight ticking sound under load for me, ok at idle but in your case, it's rather excessive.

I'll get a chance soon enough and try what Joe recommends, listening individually to the injectors while turning the engine off, not the first time I've been told, it's at the injectors.
Actually come to think about it I never noticed the ticking until recently. I didnt notice it until one night after I took my car through the car wash actually... noticed it the next day...

I have an 06 with 88k miles, and also have an annoying tick on the drivers side near the tire, I've been hoping that it isn't anything internal, so let's see if we can all troubleshoot this together. I would really be glad of it really is Just an injectorand not something internal,

In my situation, the ticking stays once the engine starts to warm up, once the needle starts to move up, is when the tickling starts, moves in relation to engine rpm, and sends to be coming from drivers side bank towards the rear,

In my situation, the ticking stays once the engine starts to warm up, once the needle starts to move up, is when the tickling starts, moves in relation to engine rpm, and sends to be coming from drivers side bank towards the rear,
Ive noticed this also... when I first start the car no tick... after leaving it running for a few mins the tick starts... its driving me nuts... makes the LS sound like ass...

Members online

No members online now.
Back