Venting Airbox Worthwhile?

sloban

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing my OEM air filter with a K&N and I was wondering if it was worthwhile to vent the bottom of the air box at the same time? And will the ECU adjust all right to the additional airflow if I do vent the box? I wasn't going to bother resetting the ECU unless it starts/runs roughly (the car has less than 150 miles on it). But will the ECU handle the added airflow at all without a flash? I wasn't planning on going the performance tune route.

Venting airbox

I have an '00 v6 w/ KN airfilter. I didn't cut out the whole bottom of the airbox but I did cut out around where the hole in the wheel well is. Made it about 1 inch all the way around bigger than needed. I then cut the wheel well cover and put a small piece of fine mesh over the whole to keep some of the bigger crud out. It makes a nice deep throated sound when you punch it and there is s a slight positive difference in power, but that dif could just be in my head from actually being able to hear the engine now. The one thing you will need to do is clean your KN filter more frequently now with it exposed to more grime.

Members online

Back