Vented Rotors

marcopepe

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Any help would be great!!!

I brought the LS into the dealership to see if they could find out why there was a clicking sound to my front tires. I figured it was from the brand new rotors and pads that were installed on my car a couple months back. I have slotted/dimpled rotors and raybestos queit stop pads. They work great, but there is a clicking noise that is bugging me. Anyways, the dealership said the noise is coming from the vented Rotors.

Do vented rotors make a noise? Is the noise from the air its pulling in from driving or what? How can i solve this problem? Is the dealership right? Thanks

Mark,

I have a similar issue with my StopTech brakes. I have it on the right rear and it clicks at times and some times it won't. It drove me crazy until one day I pulled the tire off and noticed that the inside pad was moving from side to side. Now the pads on the StopTech system just slide in the top of the caliper and a pin holds them in place. The outer pad didn't move so I thought the inside pad was my issue. I just put the wheel back on and haven't given it much thought since. I plan to put on a pad that produces much less dust soon. I'm hoping this will cure the issue.

You may have something similar. When you say vents are you talking about the cross drilled rotors?

GrayGhost1 said:
Mark,

I have a similar issue with my StopTech brakes. I have it on the right rear and it clicks at times and some times it won't. It drove me crazy until one day I pulled the tire off and noticed that the inside pad was moving from side to side. Now the pads on the StopTech system just slide in the top of the caliper and a pin holds them in place. The outer pad didn't move so I thought the inside pad was my issue. I just put the wheel back on and haven't given it much thought since. I plan to put on a pad that produces much less dust soon. I'm hoping this will cure the issue.

You may have something similar. When you say vents are you talking about the cross drilled rotors?

Hey Ken,
The rotors are not cross drilled! They are dimpled and slotted. Dimpled is only drilled a lil bit, but not all the way through. I will take the tire off and see if the pads are loose at all. hopefully that will fix the problem...thanks for the help.

On a side note,,,let me know about the wood grain kit pieces? Thanks again

this is usually caused by the slots in the rotors catch the leading edge of the brake pad - and usually fixed by grinding the leading edges down on an angle. Some pad come that way from the manufacturer - did yours?

Quik LS said:
this is usually caused by the slots in the rotors catch the leading edge of the brake pad - and usually fixed by grinding the leading edges down on an angle. Some pad come that way from the manufacturer - did yours?

Hey Quick,

Not sure if they came that way or not. But i will check that out! Thanks for the heads up! Appreciate it.

do you know what kinda pads might come in that angle im thinking about getting sloted rotors and new pads wana get ther ight ones

Buy the pad you want (there are a lot of recommendations you can search through on this site) - if they do not come angled - I use a beltsander.

cutting the leading edges of the pad on an angle is a 'best practice' even for non-slotted rotors. It tends to make them squeal less.

Members online

Back