Vehicle Speed Sensor wire location

Z_Drifter_87

LVC Member
Reaction score
Could you all help me out... Im having problems with my speedo working... i had a post about this earlier in the month, Im looking for the Vehicle Speed Sensor wire... to see if maybe its stripped or something... cause my speedo works, then it doesnt... so any help would be appreciated.. thanks

What year LS do you have. There is no "speed sensor wire."
The ABS module determines the vehicle speed based on the ABS wheel speed sensors. The speed is then communicated to the PCM, the cluster, and a few other modules. The 2003-2006 use a CAN bus to do this. The 2000-2002 use a different bus.

If the only thing that isn't working is the speedometer, then there is a fault in the cluster.

I have a 2003 LS Sport with 3.9... loose connection... its random that it does work... but when it does, it works for a day... then doesnt work anymore... ive take out the tach before and its a pain.. ha

Here is your post from the other site. So its not just your speedo correct?
"I have a 2003 Lincoln LS V8 with 120XXX miles. Im having a problem with my speedometer working. There are times that my speedometer will work and times that it wont, but it chooses not to work more than actually work... When it works, the car runs great, no problems and not lights are on. When it doesnt work, ABS, Traction, Park Brake light, and Check Engine light are all on. On the message center, Service Park Break, Check Transmission, Check Traction Control, and ETC Engine failsafe mode are on. Now here is the other thing i dont get, From what i read, ETC Engine Fail safe is a "Limp" mode in which the car wont go over 20 mph and have no power... well in my case, i can go 70-100 mph.. but i have no power.. the transmission will shift at 3500rpm even if i have the pedal all the way down."..

If you want real help you have to tell 100% about problem. Not just bits and pieces and guessing like you have been doing all this time.

So, he most likely has a fault with one of the rear wheel speed sensors.

He mentioned a friend has a ABS reader I told him to FIRST have those codes read and he said oh its some speed sensor code. Then he starts changing trans speed sensors. I tell him those have 0 effect on speedo.Then sense he cleaned the rear abs sensors there where now 100% without rechecking them with the abs reader. NOT! I have been really trying to help this kid with no luck.

He mentioned a friend has a ABS reader I told him to FIRST have those codes read and he said oh its some speed sensor code. Then he starts changing trans speed sensors. I tell him those have 0 effect on speedo.Then sense he cleaned the rear abs sensors there where now 100% without rechecking them with the abs reader. NOT! I have been really trying to help this kid with no luck.

Some you just have to give up on...

Yeah sorry guys, just waiting for the sensor to come in from Oreilys... it'll be here Wednesday... Just trying other things.. I cleand the connectors to the rear abs sensors... It is only the speedo by the way.. as soon as it doesnt mark the speed, the etc mode comes on followed by everything else... When the speedo does work no lights are on except for the check engine light, after i clear that code, no lights at all...

Yeah sorry guys, just waiting for the sensor to come in from Oreilys... it'll be here Wednesday... Just trying other things.. I cleand the connectors to the rear abs sensors... It is only the speedo by the way.. as soon as it doesnt mark the speed, the etc mode comes on followed by everything else... When the speedo does work no lights are on except for the check engine light, after i clear that code, no lights at all...

Then, it's not only the speedometer.

Ok guys, got the sensor in.. and its the wrong one.. gotta wait another 4 days for it to come in.. now another question.. I took off the old one and notice that there was a "chip" on the sensor where it reads the speed.. could that be the one that is faulty cause of the chip off the sensor...

Ok guys, got the sensor in.. and its the wrong one.. gotta wait another 4 days for it to come in.. now another question.. I took off the old one and notice that there was a "chip" on the sensor where it reads the speed.. could that be the one that is faulty cause of the chip off the sensor...

If you are saying that the sensor has been damaged, then yes that could be the reason it isn't working.

Members online

Back