VCG leaking for a second time

SurfjaxLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bring this up again, but has anybody had to replace the vcg's a second time. I had mine replaced, 8 new coils and plugs in 2005, and just got a P0304 code. I'm assuming the vcg's are leaking again, but not sure.

To check for oil in the plug wells, do I just remove the coil and the plug well is right there. I haven't done any under the hood work on my LS before, and just don't feel like paying someone to check it out for me.

Just take the passenger side coil cover off, pull out the number 4 coil (closest to the firewall) and have a look in there. If you can't tell, pull the plug (while the engine is cold) and see if there's oil on it.

Good news, took out the coil packs and no oil in the plug wells. Looks like a new coil pack and spark plug for me.

Not to be "that guy"... but, for the sake of making sure you sound like you know what you're talking about...

Coil Packs are older generation ignition systems, Generally a car would have 1-4 coil packs. In a coil pack, the coils are batch fired; meaning either two (almost always two) or four coils are fired at once, through conventional spark plug wires.

What you have are Coil On Plug units; these sit directly on the plug, incorperate no plug wire, only the coil trigger wires and each coil is individually fired.

So as you can see, if someone comes up and asks for a coil pack for an LS... well, kind of sounds like they have no idea what they are talking about. Sort of like if you went in and asked for a carberator gasket when you want a throttle body gasket... sure they both allow metered air into the engine, but that's where the similarities stop.

ANYHOW, Good to hear you didn't have VCG failure again... I know I'd be more than a little mad if I had to do that job a second time in a matter of three years!

Members online

No members online now.
Back