VCG bolts

Catherine Gray

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm having problems getting two of the bolts off of the valve cover on the passenger side I really need some advice.

04 3.9L

I used a mini wrench in between my index and middle fingers to do it. Was a pain but it got the job done. Others have cut wrenches in half and others have used angle sockets with great success. I would suggest the angled socket.

Which two? See below for numbering of the bolts.

s6x~us~en~file=n0033464.gif~gen~ref.gif

What is the nature of the problem(s)? Can't get to the bolt, bolt won't turn, bolt head stripped, bolt broken, ...

s6x~us~en~file=n0033464.gif~gen~ref.gif

I used a mini wrench in between my index and middle fingers to do it. Was a pain but it got the job done. Others have cut wrenches in half and others have used angle sockets with great success. I would suggest the angled socket.

Valve cover bolt or coil cover bolt?

I was specifically talking about the bolts on the covers near the firewall... The plastic cover that is over the coils.

I was specifically talking about the bolts on the covers near the firewall... The plastic cover that is over the coils.

She may be as well, but she said "valve cover bolts", so I assumed valve cover bolts, not coil cover bolts.

Could be either one, who knows haha. I do believe that an angle socket would also assist with removing those bolts as well, even though it would be a different size.

Could be either one, who knows haha. I do believe that an angle socket would also assist with removing those bolts as well, even though it would be a different size.
Yeah, the problem is reinstalling them. It's hard to impossible to correctly set the torque with a swivel socket.

And the sleeves for those bolts may have become stripped/loose in the valve cover.....Don't ask how I know, but JB Weld will will cure that condition.

And the sleeves for those bolts may have become stripped/loose in the valve cover.....Don't ask how I know, but JB Weld will will cure that condition.

Yes, a seemingly common problem with the coil cover bolts. I've had two or three do that to me.

Wondering...if he gave the answer ?? Is it for the Ignition Coil Cover ?? The (6ea) 7-mm bolts (I have a Gen.1 V8).
I just replaced my #3 COP, Saturday morning, took about 30 minutes. And I don't bother putting on the forth bolt
(bottom bolt closest to the firewall) in because it's a bee-atch to mess with. I figure if the rubber gasket is still sort
of soft and flexible -that once you've tightened down the other five bolts that the corner will seal "just enough" to
put pressure along that perimeter.

-Just throwing in my 2 cents- (needed or not)...
-Plus, I was happy to find a Motorcraft DG-529 "sealed bag" for $39 bucks on ebay...:p

Which bolts "specifically" is this dude having problems with ?? It's not like it need's to be air-tight, -just drip-proof.
Plus for me (Gen.1 V8), the foam material that contains the "run-through" wiring for the COP's makes it moot...

Plus for me (Gen.1 V8), the foam material that contains the "run-through" wiring for the COP's makes it moot...

You're supposed to reseal that opening. I just used some silicone caulking I had laying around. Seems to work fine.

Lol no no hell no lol just was sure you was talking about the valve cover and not coil cover

I've been (mostly) talking about the valve cover. I think everyone else is talking about the coil cover. I do recall that she was asking about valve cover gaskets before, so it makes sense. Of course, to get the valve cover off, the coil cover has to first be removed.

I hope that she is removing and installing the bolts in the correct sequence (removal sequence is not the same as the install sequence). The correct torque to use is 6 Nm.

The alternative, if you're really talking about the coil cover, is to take each cover firmly in hand and throw it into the corner of the garage that's designated as the resting place for useless stuff. I did so back in '07 and have been the better for it!!

KS

The alternative, if you're really talking about the coil cover, is to take each cover firmly in hand and throw it into the corner of the garage that's designated as the resting place for useless stuff. I did so back in '07 and have been the better for it!!

KS

So after it rains and you run over a few wet spots and water get into the coils How do you keep them working???
The cover is not useless

Nah, I live in Metro Detroit. I switched to aftermarket coils. The boots have a raised ring around the part that contacts the top of the spark-plug tubes. Installed in '07---no rain trouble yet!

KS

Nah, I live in Metro Detroit. I switched to aftermarket coils. The boots have a raised ring around the part that contacts the top of the spark-plug tubes. Installed in '07---no rain trouble yet!

KS
a

My mechanic lost two of the bolts on the passenger side on the firewall end...every time it rained hard (in NY) water would go into my coil well and cause a CEL...when I replaced the bolts and cover...this ceased.

Members online

No members online now.
Back