Valve cover to Air Intake tube???

pan

LVC Member
Reaction score
2001 Lincoln LS8... Does anyone know what the preformed tube that goes from the Valve cover to the air intake is called or where to get one besides a dealer??? Thanks in advance to any info and replies that help!!!

One of these?
The top one is **4Z-6758-AA hose - connecting
This is probably a dealer or junkyard only item, though you could probably make your own.

118081280.jpg

From what i can tell from small faded pic lol it looks like the small one but doesn't look like it goes to drivers side valve cover to me... thought about making one but the ends are busted on both ends of the one on the car. Don't believe i could find ends like that, i fabricate for a living my figure something out it runs fine but pushes oil out the end if i get on it hard not alot. I think it has something to do with relieving oil pressure, so i can't just block it off figured ebay but don't know what it's technical term is and didnt see anything remotely close. thx for your input!

The one on the driver's side valve cover would be easy to fabricate, although would be best to use the correct ends so you get a good seal. This is the PCV inlet to the engine, so it'll suck air into there. That's why it ties into the intake tube to get filtered air. If it's open, you're sucking dirt into the engine. The oil/air separator in the valve cover will catch some, but not all. And as you've seen, when running hard the crankcase pressure overwhelms the PCV and it'll spit out that tube. Normally that just goes into the intake and the engine burns the crankcase gases.

Just finding the right size hose and pushing onto the nipples will get a decent setup going.

The passenger side tube in the PCV feed into the engine (crankcase gases into the intake). That one is very small and would be rather harder to replace. It's under vacuum, so wouldn't necessarily want to just replace with regular hose.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I accidentally broke the rigid hose discussed above, which connects the passenger-side valve cover to the throttle body. Dealership doesn't have one in stock and I really need to get the car back on the road tonight. My inclination was to just get some vacuum line from Autozone (assuming they have the correct size), cut a section, and press it onto the connectors. Is there some reason this wouldn't work? How much pressure does this hose have to handle?

Generally, it's under vacuum, not pressure.
That should work till you can get the correct line.

Generally, it's under vacuum, not pressure.
That should work till you can get the correct line.

What's wrong with a rubber hose and hose clamps for the long term? I ahevn't seen the engine side of the hose, though

What's wrong with a rubber hose and hose clamps for the long term? I ahevn't seen the engine side of the hose, though

Rubber hoses exposed to a lot of oil degrade pretty quickly. That's why they use the hard plastic lines.

Rubber hoses exposed to a lot of oil degrade pretty quickly. That's why they use the hard plastic lines.

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks. I guess o-rings and other gaskets use oil-compatible rubber/petroleum compounds then? Or at least they should?

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks. I guess o-rings and other gaskets use oil-compatible rubber/petroleum compounds then? Or at least they should?

Yes. There's a lot to picking the right o-ring material for each application.

I ended up getting some 5/16" fuel line, which fit nice and tight and was stronger than the same size vacuum hose they had.

Members online

No members online now.
Back