valve cover sealant? gaskets leaking again

bluBomber

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I replaced the valve cover gaskets on my '03 LS about 20K miles ago, It was throwing codes and going into limp mode and after a lot of reseach here, I replaced the leaking valve cover gaskets, all 6 coils and the upper intake gaskets.

Problem is they are leaking again after about 2 years and I am once again going into limp mode. Last time, I used felpro gaskets, put rtv in the corners and front as suggested in the posts here, but both sides appear to be leaking at the rear outside corners. I even went so far as to buy a 1/4" torque wrench to get the cover bolts torqued properly.

I've never had a problem with felpro on any other vehicle, but this time I have ordered a Victor Reinz gasket set to give it a go. It's more expensive, must be better, right? :)
Will also replace all 6 coils/plugs again as well and the IMT o-rings, as I did not do those last time and I think they are leaking too.

The valve covers seem to be a composite material, could they be warped maybe? Seems like a bit of a stretch, but I certainly don't think they should be leaking again this soon.

I'm thinking I should put sealant all the way around on both sides of the gasket , but I wanted to get some feedback here first.
I don't want to create a worse problem. And while it could be the mechanic in this case, I have been working on my own cars for 35 years, so I do have a little knowledge.

thanks,

edit: I did use cheap harbor freight rtv, I suppose that could be the issue.

did you use Hightemp RTV? I would imagine if not it is possible that it has degraded from heat cycles and now coming out and allowing a leak.

although it is also possible cheap RTV even high temp is doing the same thing

did you use Hightemp RTV? I would imagine if not it is possible that it has degraded from heat cycles and now coming out and allowing a leak.

although it is also possible cheap RTV even high temp is doing the same thing

I believe it was hi-temp, but I know it was the cheap stuff that I had on hand. Will pick up some better quality stuff this time around.

The one I used was specific for gaskets and high temp as mentioned above. Black tube, I think the part number is 598B

i use permatex ultra black for almost everything and never really had a problem

Members online

No members online now.
Back