valve cover gaskets

98LSC32V

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm getting oil on the spark plugs, how bad is this job on a 98? Anything else I should replace at the same time?

I'm getting oil on the spark plugs, how bad is this job on a 98? Anything else I should replace at the same time?

The passenger side is pie. The driver's side you have to move the brake booster and other components off to the side to gain access OR loosen the motor mount on that side and tilt the engine slightly which some have done to make the job easier. Check the condition of the affected boots and replace if necessary.

Not too terrible on a 2nd Gen.

Remove COP cover, remove coils, place jack under oil pan with a dampning block between jack and pan, remove motor mount bolt. Lift engine a bit, remove valve cover bolts and remove cover, replace gaskets and reverse. Then do the other side

Removing the 1 bolt for the motor mount > removing booster

Maybe I should also point out..

Use some rtv ..(I prefer "Right Stuff-- the name says it all) .. in the corners of the valve cover and some down the edges in the channel before you place the new gasket in the channel- this will help keep the gasket IN the channel when you flip it back right side up. Just a little, then push the gasket down into it, you don't want to use so much that the gasket is lumpy
Also, place a little "rtv" where the timing cover meets the heads, you'll wanna use a razor to remove any old rtv from there prior to this

Sapperfire,
i wish i lived closer, you would get all my business! i have to do this same job on my new 98 after christmas.

I wish you did too, I'd appreciate the business. My kids like having food

I sorta got lucky on this Mark as the valve covers aren't leaking but someone cleaned the engine and stained the covers :(

This is what else you have to get for your 98 when you do the valve cover gaskets... Powder coated!!! :D

photo.jpg

This is what else you have to get for your 98 when you do the valve cover gaskets... Powder coated!!! :D

photo.jpg

My exact thoughts to do when I take mine off sept I have another pair to get done. That way I don't have to wait, I can just put em right on. Also my guy can do Ceramic Sealed Chrome look :D

OOOooohhh... ceramic sealed chrome. Please explain this further as I am thinking about chrome as well. That way, if I want to change the color down the road, it will still match!!! Extra set of valve covers, too. Mmm... having to leave my car with the mechanic while the covers get done is very much driving me out of my mind. I've seen them around for an extremely reasonable price. Maybe I will... More info, please. :D

OOOooohhh... ceramic sealed chrome. Please explain this further as I am thinking about chrome as well. That way, if I want to change the color down the road, it will still match!!! More info, please. :D

I was gonna have it done on my rims I picked up but then got laid off. At the same time I was gonna have a set of Valve covers done to really dress up my engine compartment.

As soon as I get it done be rest assured I will be posting pics and have more info

Members online

Back