Valve Cover Gasket Replacement (People in Chicago land Area)

rantheman5

LVC Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know that I retained a great list of knowledge from reading this site. I have a 02 Lincoln LS with 56k miles and ran into a few issues. Whenever I have issues I always read up on this site and I am able to pin point my problems. I had a lot of issues with the misfiring and the hard engine. Me and my buddy replaced all 8 coils and spark plugs on Thurs but I noticed that I had oil in 3/8 wells so I know I will need to eventually reaplace the VCG. I am not that great of a mechanic but I was wondering if anyone is looking for some side work that is willing to help me out replace my VCG in the Chicago land area. Please let me know, thank you so much.
:D

I believe you are referring to the coil covers. You might want to take a look at the TECH ARTICLES at the top of the page and go to the LS coil replacement.

Coil covers? No he's right on with the VCG's if he's got oil in his wells. When you get the VCG's you get the seals for the spark plug tubes as well. When these seals go bad, you get oil in the wells as the OP described. I just took care of this issue on my '05. I had oil in 3 and 4. Anyways, to the OP: I'd help you out but I'm in mid-missouri. Maybe you could do some more research and do it yourself? I'm always a little nervous to do something new on my car but the further I get into it the more comfortable I get.

The coil covers are actually unnecessary. The only thing they do is help keep water out of the wells. If you dont have a problem with water in the engine bay then they aren't needed. I've read on here from a couple people that they keep theirs off with no issues to try to keep the COPs a little cooler.

unfortunately I have not had to replace mine. I not real familiar with the process. I had to replace a valve cover gasket on one of my older cars and that didn't go well, couldn't get the stupid thing to seal well. Sorry but I'm a little nervous about this job also. I'd rather do this on my car first.

I was able to swap all the coils and add all new motorcraft spark plugs and my car no longer hesitates. I got the coils from alantis on ebay and had no issues. After I removed the boots on 3/8 coils i notice a lot of oil and once I pulled the spark plug off I notice oil on the plug so I believe I need dto replace the VCG which is causing the oil leak. My car had 58k and I believe this was the first time this was swapped out. Can this be possible that this develops over time?

I was able to swap all the coils and add all new motorcraft spark plugs and my car no longer hesitates. I got the coils from alantis on ebay and had no issues. After I removed the boots on 3/8 coils i notice a lot of oil and once I pulled the spark plug off I notice oil on the plug so I believe I need dto replace the VCG which is causing the oil leak. My car had 58k and I believe this was the first time this was swapped out. Can this be possible that this develops over time?

It can occur when ever the gaskets fail. I would advise to replace the VCG as soon as possible or you will ruin your new coils and spark plugs.

Replacing the VCGs are pretty easy. The only bolt that is difficult is the rear driver's side. Very tight fit. I used an angle wrench.

The coil covers are actually unnecessary. The only thing they do is help keep water out of the wells. If you dont have a problem with water in the engine bay then they aren't needed. I've read on here from a couple people that they keep theirs off with no issues to try to keep the COPs a little cooler.

Can someone confirm that this is correct?

I replaced my coils recently and lost 3 screws that hold those covers down.(dont ask:mad:)
So one side is missing 1, the other 2.
I was concerned that maybe it's important for these to be down really tight.
But if not, I can stop worrying about it. ;)

I replaced my coils recently and lost 3 screws that hold those covers down.(dont ask:mad:)

The V6 LS does not have any COP covers. That would seem to indicate that they aren't required.

Some people don't have the cover at all. I lost some screws also (probably in a more stupid way than you did lol). I've had no problems, one side has 4 screws in and the other 5. I would say put the screws you do have at the corners and then the middle.

Members online

Back