V8 Vantage compatibility?

FizbanBOOM

LVC Member
Reaction score
So stealing parts from Jags seems to be the go-to for modifying the LS due to the limited aftermarket. But has anyone tried nicking stuff from the 4.7 in the Aston Martin V8 Vantage? Is it based off the first or second gen AJV8s? If based on the first gen, could you nick the Vantage’s Crank and Conrods, paired with Jag Pistons, rebalance the crank, and finally achieve the dream of a stroked Lincoln LS? Maybe there are other more desirable and reasonable bits to take from the Vantage? I am most interested in the prospect of using various Aston Martin bits and bobs to get some well deserved magic for the Lincoln LS.

Totally forgot about the Aston transmissions which are surprisingly cheap. Is it because they are straight garbage or would they be a reasonable candidate to replace the LS transmission?

V8 Vantage transmission is the same as the Jaguars, but it's rear-mounted with a torque tube (Corvette-style) & integrated into the rear axle. Won't fit under the floorpan though. The engine block might work as a bare block & transfer the front cover & all the ancillaries over from your stock engine, otherwise you'd have to reroute all your cooling & electrical lines. You'd need all the dry sump stuff too. The intake manifold won't fit under the hood (too tall) & the heads won't work with your stock one (different casting). Plus...it ain't cheap. Probably better off trying to do a Range Rover 4.4L swap.

V8 Vantage transmission is the same as the Jaguars, but it's rear-mounted with a torque tube (Corvette-style) & integrated into the rear axle. Won't fit under the floorpan though. The engine block might work as a bare block & transfer the front cover & all the ancillaries over from your stock engine, otherwise you'd have to reroute all your cooling & electrical lines. You'd need all the dry sump stuff too. The intake manifold won't fit under the hood (too tall) & the heads won't work with your stock one (different casting). Plus...it ain't cheap. Probably better off trying to do a Range Rover 4.4L swap.
If the head is casted different, I’d presume the cams are useless to me as well then. I was aware of the Range Rover 4.4 that was made to replace the lame BMW 4.4 was another sibling to the Jag line but I had not looked into it yet. They also made supercharged versions of them right that were not half bad? How does wiring one up work with the stock wire harness? New wiring needed for all or just some bits and bobs?

ls swap it!
I bought the Lincoln LS because I thought the Jag motor was neat and different. I do also very much like sound as well. For these reasons I’d like to keep the engine in the Jaguar family of engines as much as possible. Also the LS swapped LS is a very complicated undertaking. Those who do it are brilliant and their work is also extraordinary; however it’s simply not for me.

So the Vantage stroke is 91 mm compared to the 4.2 Jaguar 90.3 mm stroke. Was reading a forum where some dude was rebuilding his 4.3 Vantage motor and turns out 4.2 Jaguar rods are almost identical to the Aston ones. Question is: Does the Aston main bearings for the crank fit the 4.0 block or are they smaller like the 4.2?

For the Aston, not really sure. I think engine assembly is laid out differently since the engine bay is bigger than the LS. The cams "might" work, but no guarantee. The Range Rover 4.4L block swap has been done by several Jag owners. The 4.0L to 4.2 L has been done by even more. You'd have to use the N/A engines either way. The compression ratio is lower on the supercharged versions. Please, PLEASE, don't put a Chevy engine in a Ford. It doesn't belong there

There's an engine swap thread on the Jaguar forum that brakes down how & what to swap over from the 4.0L to the 4.2L, and references the 4.4L & 3.9L. Even got input from the original engine development engineer who did the Jaguar 4.0L and it's variants. He's also the guy responsible for the 4.5L race block with the carbon fiber ITB's, the pics were on another thread around here a month or so ago. I think he said it was actually a Lincoln LS motor to start with

There's an engine swap thread on the Jaguar forum that brakes down how & what to swap over from the 4.0L to the 4.2L, and references the 4.4L & 3.9L. Even got input from the original engine development engineer who did the Jaguar 4.0L and it's variants. He's also the guy responsible for the 4.5L race block with the carbon fiber ITB's, the pics were on another thread around here a month or so ago. I think he said it was actually a Lincoln LS motor to start with
I don’t know if I want to just swap it over - yet. But if it is simply the most effective and efficient way of getting over 400 hp with a Jag motor then I reckon I could get behind it. Thanks for the info, you have been incredibly helpful.

Still open to more info though if anyone has any!

Members online

No members online now.
Back