v8 Gen2 tune file

SeaPro

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm strongly considering buying a tuner and having a few custom tunes made, but am also curious as to whether I can modify them myself. I'm in Canada so the tuner itself is about $550 + tax and a custom tune from this Torrie guy is around $240 CAD.

Long story short, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to email me one of these tunes so I could test out reverse engineering it before I commit all this money.

I'm not trying to get out of buying a tune, I'm just interested in seeing if it is possible to make changes to the tune myself after purchasing. I'm genuinely curious as to what I'll find when I poke around one of these tunes. I've got a feeling there is a way to modify them ourselves. I've got a fairly extensive background in programming and would love to give it a shot. Of course, I would share anything I find here on the forum for everybody to see.

Sorry if this seems too forward, it's just a lot of money to spend, and I can't get a response from any people selling tunes.

Thank you.

did you ask Torrie how much the tuner with tune would be if you bough it through him? tuners usually give a great deal instead of buying the SCT device. for instance the Cobb tuner I'm about to buy for my other car cost $500 from them directly or any other car parts store. and the tuning shop I'm going with has tunes starting at $150 and goes up depending on options. now if I buy the tuner from them, it comes with a tune of theirs for the same $500 and then the same add on options. when I talked to Torrie years ago when I was thinking about tuning the car, he had a very similar price structure.

also, tuning is not something you want to jump into by reverse engineering somebody's work. once you understand the science behind it, and have enough experience to know what an engine can handle and whats too much, then you will know what modifications you should be making. the programming side of things are easy, just buy the pro software and go to town.

the tune gets saved as a *.bin file. you could buy a tuner, save the stock tune and then make a single change at a time through the tuner, then compare the .bin files through freely available software... maybe. many years ago i had a program that would highlight differences between two .bin files. once one figures out what changes to make where within the hex file it becomes easier. it also helps being familiar with hexadecimal number system. also check Tuner RT software - very helpful.

sct does have software for sale so one can tune 1 vehicle only but it's spendy at over $500. they also have "professional tuner" software for multiple vehicles but it's pricier yet. you could buy the sct software through people that still support dew98 platform or through any online sct vendor.

good luck with your project.

Members online

Back