V6 vs V8 suspension

DuKeNoMaD

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Have noticed my car rides lower than most after changing out my cut coils and factory shocks to a set I grabbed from a V6 at the wrecker...are the V6 springs a lower spring rate?

I assume you are asking about the front springs.

IIRC... the V6 engine weighs more than the V8 by 50 or so pounds. So figure roughly about a bag of concrete.

So the front V6 springs should have a higher spring rate. Maybe you just got some junk springs.

Pay attention to the color codes on the shocks that were with your springs, my guess is that your springs came off a car with the luxury suspension where your has a sport suspension. Did you by any chance loosen your lower control arms? This can lower your car as well.

The cut coils I removed had red tags, not sure but I think the ones from the wrecker were green. And the V6 car was a base V6 2002 mine is a 2000 with no special options like sst. But came with the glovebox 6 disc changer. So idk. And yes the lower control arms in the front were loosened when I added the sub frame connectors from the 02..but had a full alignment after.

It's very important that the control arm bolts be tightened with the car sitting at final ride height.

Pay attention to the color codes on the shocks that were with your springs, my guess is that your springs came off a car with the luxury suspension where your has a sport suspension. Did you by any chance loosen your lower control arms? This can lower your car as well.

Shocks don't really affect the ride height of the vehicle... just the amount of bounce and rebound.

The cut coils I removed had red tags, not sure but I think the ones from the wrecker were green. And the V6 car was a base V6 2002 mine is a 2000 with no special options like sst. But came with the glovebox 6 disc changer. So idk. And yes the lower control arms in the front were loosened when I added the sub frame connectors from the 02..but had a full alignment after.

My original front V8 Sport springs had green tags on them, so that might be your issue... since you have a V6 in yours.

Members online

Back