V6 owner question

eL eS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Any V6 owners here perform the valve cover gasket job more specifically the Right hand, passenger side, valve cover gasket?

I am looking at the prospect of doing this myself but cannot find the full details on alldata.com. It seems their instructions for the RH VC gasket removal seem too easy. IIRC some folks have stated that much of the intake has to come off.

Can anyone add to this. I am ready to do the work and after this christmas and 3 hurricanes I could use an opportunity to save some $ and really need a distratcion.

no worries it is good to know folks are looking out for me. I may just have to just shoot this thing in the dark and see what I hit. I might as well take some digital photos along the way for the next guy.

Hey I see you are a Jax, Florida driver you in the Navy? I know it is a big Navy town Air/Sea. I live over in Tampa and an ex-squid.

Nope, not in the navy. I'm a student. I think I read somewhere that the intake does have to be taken of though. Not sure, but even if it's not required, it'll make it easier because you will have more room.

You in college? what's the major, please be automotive, man the industry could use some folks that have some practical experience.

I think the alldata.com website on documented the valave cover steps. I think i will check the step for intake removal. that should get me where I need to go.

Thanks for the follow up. That link you gave me helped another guy out. He says thanks

Finishing up high school (3 months left). Looking at aeronautical engineering at UT Austin. I'm hoping some of the stuff I learn will carry over to cars. And you're definitely correct about needing people in the car industry with experience. Especially for the seemingly unmodifiable LS.

wow! well go get em' aeronautical is great. any aspirations to fly? FLY NAVY!

I found the removal and install step for the intake. it definitely gives a clear shot to the valve cover on teh RH side. Looks like I am going to need a big parts list as there are gasket on the intake that might be damaged. Plus I am wondering if I should go ahead and replace the EGR and PCV since I am cutting past those as well.

I would definitely appreciate some feedback on the replacement of those parts from you all that are in the know. If it isn't broke don't fix it or does it make sense to replace them since the coils are all getting replaced on both sides?

Not really looking to fly, looking more at propulsion and engine design.

Don't know what to say on the other parts you listed. I'm pretty clueless about the v6. If you're careful you should be able to reuse the parts.

Good luck with this, I'm sure it will help out the v6 crowd around here.

I plan on taking photos and having my wife write and format the document.

Got a question for the crowd it is regarding a procedure in alldata.com:

Apply a 5 mm (0.2 inch) bead of Silicone Gasket and Sealant F7AZ-19554-EA or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSE-M4G323-A4 to the front cover joints.

They say apply a bead of silicone gasket and sealant... are they refering to the gasket(s) and do they mean put some sealant on the gasket(s)?

I am sure this would apply for the V6 or V8 anyone have idea?

cover.gif

I can't say nothing but good things about fordpartsnetwork.com. Even at this late hour Torrie answers order related emails. Thanks torrie!

Surfjax, your in high school and own an LS? Is it yours outright or your parents? If you own it, how do you afford it? I am a senior in college. I am able to afford mine because of an internship, but man it is a tight budget. More curious than anything.

eL eS said:
I plan on taking photos and having my wife write and format the document.

Got a question for the crowd it is regarding a procedure in alldata.com:

Apply a 5 mm (0.2 inch) bead of Silicone Gasket and Sealant F7AZ-19554-EA or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSE-M4G323-A4 to the front cover joints.

They say apply a bead of silicone gasket and sealant... are they refering to the gasket(s) and do they mean put some sealant on the gasket(s)?

I am sure this would apply for the V6 or V8 anyone have idea?

can anyone clarify the adhesive question? PLEASE
*owned*

My dad bought it in 2001 and kinda gave it to me when I started to drive. He still uses it some during the week when he has to go out of town.

As for the sealant, I think it is supposed to be put on the valve cover, gaskets are then placed on the valve cover, and finally you can bolt the assembly back together. This is what I gathered from other cars with the same gasket replacement.

SurfjaxLS said:
As for the sealant, I think it is supposed to be put on the valve cover, gaskets are then placed on the valve cover, and finally you can bolt the assembly back together. This is what I gathered from other cars with the same gasket replacement.

Thanks, unfortunately, or fortunately depends on the perspective, I have never had to do this sort of repair before so I am not sure how to handle the application of the gaskets.

Members online

No members online now.
Back