V6 motor info needed

WarmMolasses

New LVC Member
Reaction score
So I have a 2000 ls v6. I spun a couple crank/rod bearings. My buddy has an 04 ls v6 that his brother totaled but the motor is still good and he said I could have it. Will that motor direct swap into my 01? The noticeable differences to me are intake manifold is obviously different, the coil positions are different and where my secondary air pump is on mine, his just has an idler pulley. Couldn’t find much info on specs other than that in 03 the motors made more power and switched to electronic throttle. Not trying to change everything, I’ll buy one from an auto salvage yard. Just wondering if this free motor will work. Can anyone help?

You might be able to make it work if you swapped all of the top end of it (including the heads) with your gen I engine. Otherwise, not so much.
The gen I electronics can't deal with the ETC or the variable valve timing. Plus there are other sensor changes, and things like the change from a belt driven air pump to an electric one, hydraulic fan to electric fan, and so on.

You can't just swap the PCM. You'd have to swap out most of the wiring in the whole car and all the other electronic modules. The transmission would have to be swapped too.

I suspect that it would still be cheaper to forget the free engine and find a gen I engine. (Maybe you could sell or swap the gen II engine?)

That’s exactly what I needed to know.... Definitely going to find a gen1. Thanks for the assistance bro

Members online

Back