V6 Intake O-Rings: Still not Sealing

CTX-SLPR

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

I did the O-ring replacement on my 2003 V6 and while they sealed for like 2-3 months they started leaking again and within 9mths it was worse than before. I lightly lubed them with some grease before I put them in the first time.

Thinking that the grease had let the oil through over time I took it apart and cleaned everything up and put thread sealant (PTFE paste) on the inside of the O-ring grooves and on the outsides of the O-rings then spun the valves 90deg or so in the housings before bolting them down. This has made the leak noticably smaller (no oil smoke clouds) but it actually seems to have made the leak more consistent.

Do I need to pull it apart again and put the O-rings in there dry or do I have to resort to a different sealant? I'm sure blue RTV would do the job but I'd really rather avoid that as a solution...

Thanks,

Nothing on rings!!!!! If you need a new set of blue o rings I might have them in garage. Free! Postage?

Last edited:
Nothing on rings!!!!! If you need a new set of blue o rings I might have them in garage. Free! Postage?
I was just using the Ford parts listed in the original thread. Though no sense turning these down.

I'll PM you the shipping details.

When I had mine done last winter the mech said the mating surface was distorted (melted, distoted by heat). They put a bead of high temp sealer around valve with the new O rings. I still have a somewhat rough idle when very cold. Runs fine when up to temp. I know the valves change position due to temp and if they were still leaking I would think it would effect the idle when up to temp. I wonder if a temp sensor could be failing.

Members online

No members online now.
Back