Used 98 SLS-Potential Problems

mnmridg

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My parents are about to buy a 98 SLS with about 85k on the clock. Supposedly very well taken care of but I was wondering if there were any problem areas they should have looked at or find out if a certian maintenance has already been done. Are the cams belt or chain driven? Valve lash? Head gaskets?

Thanks in advance!!!

The northstar it seems is very important to change the coolant often 2-3 yrs or 24-32k miles. Orange coolant should go up to 4-5 years.

From what I've found after 96 cadillac went to dex-cool orange coolant and stopped using the addative. Its removal was attributed to better seals and various upgrades done over the northstars life. Personally I would have the coolant completely flushed professionally to get it all changed. This way if the suppliment is used its unlikely to have any "gunk" to get mixed with potentially adding to the gunk. Previously they had used green coolant and 3 pellets of gm coolant suppliment (sealant). On the 4.3 v6 version of the northstar a design flaw could cause a problem worsened with the sealant which could mix with the rust particles. This wasn't a problem with the all aluminum v8 northstar. The suppliment if added and whether gm brand or bar leak gold (same) should be added to the radiator hose not the overflow tank. At over 100k the serpentine and water pump belt, driven off the rear of the engine cam should be changed. The timing is done by chains not belts. Also plugs, wires and fuel filter (oem highly recommended)

Also use some seafoam deep creep or similar throttle body air intake cleaner (not carb cleaner, which eats the coating inside throttle bodies) should help clean any sticky carbon, gunk etc... in the intake. Also due to age check all vacume or emmission hoses & connectors for wear, leaks cracking etc...

If done by yourself or ever added to make sure and use distilled water to eliminate minerals present normally in water. This will help reduce the potential for the minerals to cause rust or lime etc.. in the coolant. This is why its recommeded to drain hot water tanks, though often the drain on them isn't actually designed well enough not to leak after doing so, espically if not done as often as recommended. Though in the case of a hw tank there is also a metal pipe inside which is designed to "sacrifice itself" to prevent corrosion and etc.. and be replaced every so often as well.

Thanks Purelux. Good info that I will pass along. Thanks for taking the time.

Members online

No members online now.
Back