Upstream O2 Sensors Unhooked on LS 3.9

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, Up here in the Icebox of the United States we are having one hell of a 2019 January and February...minus 20 below windchills have been a norm my car was firing up no problem ... the shop just installed a new alternator and Ever since I’m having trouble with my 1st Gen 3.9 not starting ...I have turned the key and nothing not even cranking over ....I try it several times and all the dash lights up like normal and Pats light is working as should but it doesn’t crank over....then all of a sudden it will pop right off after I try it a few more times ...of course when it does start and run it’s shaking worse than a earthquake in Cali so after missing out on a whole day of over-time pay today because the car didn’t start this morning, I decided to experiment with some things ...first I charged the battery for an hour until it was reading 12.9 Volts ...before I put it back in the car, I hit the starter with a hammer a few times ... turn the key and nothing ....not cranking at all...I try it several times and nothing ....then I turn the key and it pops right off...then it’s shaking like usual ...so I disconnected the upstream O2 sensors and she smooths out real nice like but still a little shaky ...then I unhook the MAF and connector after it and she is purring like a kitten smooth as silk ...spray some sea foam intake cleaner into the intake manifold through vacuum hose and it smoke some like a steam engine after hot soaking it 15 minutes ...take the wife for a little cruise ...and the car has never drove better since I purchased it...no misfires no shaking and smooth as silk...of course the check engine light is staring at me with a big smile :)
But what’s the worse can happen if I leave it in this state? Will the car Ben damaged or will I burn out the cats quicker than a a blow torch striking a straw hat? I do have a P0200 fuel injector code that popped up along with the O2 sensor codes and MAF/ Intake temp code...and then a P0200 cylinder #1 popped up ...it eventually disappeared on its own for some reason ...I figured I needed fuel injectors but ....where do I go from here ...are the Bosch O2 sensors making everything go crazy or is it fuel injector related or O2 sensor related or is it the MAF or is this thing ready for the graveyard? Please help! Just looking for some direction....I’m buying a 06 V8 tomorrow but wondering if this is worth keeping or just sell it?

You have it running in FEM (Failure Effects Management), and it is using relatively safe defaults and guesses. Emissions will be much higher, fuel consumption will be higher, and performance will be lower. Short term it shouldn't do much harm, but long term it will likely shorten engine life.

You have it running in FEM (Failure Effects Management), and it is using relatively safe defaults and guesses. Emissions will be much higher, fuel consumption will be higher, and performance will be lower. Short term it shouldn't do much harm, but long term it will likely shorten engine life.
Thanks for the info Joe much appreciated...I drove it about 70 miles to pick up a 2006 V8 and she ran pretty good fuel is a bit rich like you said but over all she ran really good ...you were so right ...I didn’t know what I was missing ...this 2006 V8 is just a sweet slice of beautiful! :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back