Upper Spring Perch

tmackviii

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well today I got everything to do my spring conversion from a mid 90s V8 Bird. I got the setup for less than $80. The spring perch materials cost me $8. I bought 4 pieces of 8"x8" 1/8 steel plate. I followed a diagram posted up from a different sight on how to make the things. Like an idiot I made the perches at work and left the coils at home. Didnt want the bosses to know what I was up to and walking in with a big ass coil spring is dead giveaway. Anyway the plate, according to the diagram needed to be 6.5"X6.5". Well I did not take into consideration he used an aftermarket spring with an outside diameter of 6.5". The stock TBird springs have an outside diameter of 6" leaving me a half inch gap around the spring. Do you guys think they will move around too much and wallow out the lower control arm? If so no big deal I can remake them. Dont really want to but I can. Dont laugh at the pic Im not a pro just a dude with some tools.
IMG_20130624_222051.jpg

IMG_20130624_222051.jpg

they look nice to me and i highly doubt the spring will move at all. in fact i think you did a good thing as my perches are creaky because they are too close to the spring. i've seen cars in the junkyard with no perch at all if that tells you something. i'll trade you if you decide you dont want use them :D

I really think you're fine. I've seen Marks in the JY with no perches at all for their rear springs.

Cool thanks guys good to know. I had a feeling it would be ok but back in my lowrider days Ive seen some crazy stuff when it comes to springs corkscrewing thru control arms. Just wanted to be sure before I put this stuff in. Hammer I have some extra metal and can make you a set if you want.

Okay springs are in and I have to say other than being at nose bleed level the ride is good. I have a little body roll but it feels good not driving a stage coach around. I cut a full turn off the fronts and a half turn off the rear. Im cutting some more in a few weeks. Maybe 2 more up front and 1.5 in rear and I should be tucking about 1/2" of tire.

Before (Bad compressor and leaking bags)
10164_10200797507073622_341968387_n.jpg

After ($80 Wrecking yard V8 T Bird Coils and Struts)
IMG_20130625_200814.jpg

10164_10200797507073622_341968387_n.jpg

IMG_20130625_200814.jpg

That height honestly doesn't look bad I kinda like it! Its at a sliiightly lower than stock height. Car looks good overall though!

Nice job
Not trying to give you a back handed compliment but
I'm surprised how good those wheels look when the car is lowered. Can't wait for pics when you cut some coils out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back