Upgrading Thermostat?

TDUB

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I know it doesn't really do a whole lot but it can't hurt so I'm wondering if anyone has upgraded their thermostat to a low temp one on the LS, and if so what did you use?

I've found a lower temp. thermostat for the V6, but nothing out there that I can find for the V8.

Really, I think you'd be wise to leave it alone. Not only will you lose efficacy (READ: MPG), but it isn't likely to increase performance.

Best bet if replacing the T-stat is using a fail-safe T-stat; these, when they fail lock open instead of closed; ensuring your engine doesn't overheat.

224 degree temperatures was enough for me to look for a lower temp stat. That's the reading I've seen on my ScanGauge II quite a few times.

I'm willing to bet the t-stat is a 220, so that's in the correct range.

Don't forget, newer engines are designed to run hotter; it ensures a more complete burn and reduces emissions. Also helps with mileage.

So experiment a bit and drill a 1/4" hole.
Then monitor the temperature.
You can always put a new stock thermostat back in.
If you have a programmer you can probably lower the temperature the fans turn on at as well.

Leave the t-stat alone. They have been engineered to be perfect. They are high temp for a reason. Too low opening temp and the water doesnt sit in the radiator long enough to cool. If you remove it and run without one, it will overheat because the water doesnt stay in the radiator long enough to cool. Same goes if you drill it out, even alittle. Best way to gain HP in a factory engine is to cool down the air and fuel. Anything else will be negated by the computer changing the timing to compensate. Air restriction is not an issue. You need the coldest, driest, crisp air you can get. If it's 90 degrees with 70percent humidity, that's it. You can not get colder air then the ambient. Install cool can for fuel line, fill with ice and enjoy. Until it melts, just like a fresh beer from the freezer. But please, dont jack with the T-stat.

Leave the t-stat alone. They have been engineered to be perfect. They are high temp for a reason. Too low opening temp and the water doesnt sit in the radiator long enough to cool. If you remove it and run without one, it will overheat because the water doesnt stay in the radiator long enough to cool. Same goes if you drill it out, even alittle. Best way to gain HP in a factory engine is to cool down the air and fuel. Anything else will be negated by the computer changing the timing to compensate. Air restriction is not an issue. You need the coldest, driest, crisp air you can get. If it's 90 degrees with 70percent humidity, that's it. You can not get colder air then the ambient. Install cool can for fuel line, fill with ice and enjoy. Until it melts, just like a fresh beer from the freezer. But please, dont jack with the T-stat.

I agree, do not mess with the T-stat because the gains would be negligble on this car, but I don't agree with some of the other stuff...:D

The warmer an engine gets, the more efficient it runs.

Best bet if replacing the T-stat is using a fail-safe T-stat; these, when they fail lock open instead of closed; ensuring your engine doesn't overheat.

The newer OEM T-stat are fail- safe. IIRC

Members online

No members online now.
Back