Upgraded Stereo for Lincoln LS ?

PaulJK

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have the Alpine radio / cassette / CD unit with the glovebox CD changer in my 2000 Lincoln LS. I'd really like to be able to play MP3 music. Anybody have any advice on what kind of equipment to get ?

First choice would be only to upgrade the CD changer if I could. I Do Not want to change the factory look in the dash too much.

I was wondering about maybe getting an upgraded factory Lincoln unit (maybe with Navigation) from a scapyard. Would this be "plug-n-play" if I simply got one from a later model LS ?

Last choice would be to go all the way and replace speakers, and add amps and an aftermarket Alpine or Nakamichi unti using the dash adapter like Crutchfield sells.

Any thoughts ?

Factory NAV swap is out...unless you have a ton of money or a wrecked car that you can get EVERYTHING you need....plus a lot of skill integrating the electronics.

Yeah, you can go to the THX/Nav system, but it's not a wise choice--for the time and money invested in making it happen, you can buy a better aftermarket system. It's most definitely not plug and play; there are plenty of threads on this that describe, in excruciating detail, why it's more trouble than it's worth.

FWIW, you have the top-end factory stereo for your car (the THX/Nav system was only available in the 2nd gen ('03-'06) LSes): to upgrade from that, you have to go aftermarket. If you're not good with fibergalss/interior fabrication, talk to a local stereo or interior shop. They should be able to help you with the fabrication of a bezel to give you a clean install

I just picked up an iPod, so naturally I have been looking at interfaces for it to my LS. The best that I have found is the P.I.E. systems. For you '00, you will need to FRDN-PCPOD. (look at PIE's application guide here). The interface allows basic control of the iPod through the radio controls, including steering wheel controls. Unfortunately, to use this interface, you will need to give up the external CD changer (in-dash 6 CD is OK). The reason is that this unit interfaces to the head unit using the CD changer controls.

Those of us lucky enough to have a satellite radio compatible unit (without satellite radio installed) can use the FRDN-POD/S which also displays text from the iPod onto the display of the radio (track name, artist, etc.). This allows you to put the iPod away and have full control. This is the one that I plan to buy.

I was looking into this myself last week. As far as the CD changer, you probably won't miss it. Two things, access time and space, I figure will make it a good replacement. You can probably fit 6 cds on one playlist and switching between songs or random playing will be without the delay of waiting for a disk to change. I guess the only thing would be if you buy a cd from the store or a friend jumps in with a cd. cd's are quickly becoming extinct, remember 12" EP's and the singles with the disk adapters???

This is what I really want to know: does anybody have the Axxess FDIP-01 interface. Check it out www.wiretunes.com. It's suppossed to be just like the PIE3 but it will display the titles across the radio. If anybody has this one (somebody has to), how does it measure up? I called the company and they weren't sure if it would allow you to still use the steering wheel controls - if not, forget it.

Wow, that's nice. I was just looking for something like that. It's a bit extensive though. If there was something similar out, specifically for the LS, what features do you think it should have? I have some minor signal processing and electornics experience and I'm thinking about working on my own custom LS interface.

macboy said:
Those of us lucky enough to have a satellite radio compatible unit (without satellite radio installed) can use the FRDN-POD/S which also displays text from the iPod onto the display of the radio (track name, artist, etc.). This allows you to put the iPod away and have full control. This is the one that I plan to buy.
Sorry, man; been there, done that, and no, you can't. You use the POD/S if you have the SAT button but do NOT have the Visteon satellite unit installed. The POD/S emulates the satellite receiver, which it can't do if the satellite receiver is installed.

What you need is the PIE X3-FRDN and the UNI-POD. Combined, they cost about the same as what you've found, but you don't get control of the iPod through the stock head unit.

As was described to me, stock Ford accessories (like the Visteon unit or an external CD changer) have a method of sharing the auxiliary input connector, but none of the aftermarket devices are that "smart." Ergo, if you have a Ford accessory on the auxiliary input, the aftermarket devices are shut out.

Those of us lucky enough to have a satellite radio compatible unit (without satellite radio installed) can use the FRDN-POD/S which also displays text from the iPod onto the display of the radio
Sorry, man; been there, done that, and no, you can't. You use the POD/S if you have the SAT button but do NOT have the Visteon satellite unit installed.
That is what I said, i.e. Sat compatible, but without Sat installed.

So you did. Dang, I'm having trouble reading lately...must be time to have my glasses checked...

I have the Pioneer Nav system from an 03, after removing my 05 Cd am Fm Cassette I forund that you must have the upgraded stereo system to plug and play the Nav sys.
It is notable to mention that wiring is very similiar and I have put the Sat compatable 6cd with visteon in my 01 F250 so I may attempt this retro. I believe adding the preamp and a sub amp should be enough alond with moving some plug pins around. Not sure if Im up to it this week end or not.
I might just sell the nav system.

Gstew

Well, I traded the 2000 LS back to the dealer for a 2003 LS - 6. The 2003 has the 6 CD in-dash unit, but I've heard that the Navigation is not plug-n-play ?! If it could be easily swapped into my 2003, I'd be interested if you decide to sell it.

He's talking about an aftermarket (Pioneer) nav system. Going from the factory Audiophile (or base) unit to the factory Nav unit is not a plug-n-play swap.

Members online

Back