Updating Magellan roadmate GPS....no way!!

02LS8Lincoln

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I buy a Magellan GPS a while back maybe like 6-7 months ago. Its a pretty good GPS overall but some sections of the city dont exist or are not recognized by the GPS note that im in Miami. So I figure let me go into the website and check out the latest updates. To my surprise they want $80.00 for a :q:q:q:qing update. I mean come on I paid 110.00 for the damn thing and now I have to pay 80.00 bucks for an update, i dont give a :q:q:q:q im not paying it. Its going to stay the way it is and Im not buying another Magellan GPS ever again. Im looking at TomToms or Garmins. Unbelievable!!!!

Garmin maps are about $80 each at least when I had mine
Now I have free updates on my Droid. With Google maps

i love my magellen...i dont live in the city and dont travel much...but when i do go to chicago (once a month) or to the wisc dells it works great..

80 bucks is crazy though..

yup my gamin is something like that to update too

and my droid is great (when you have a 3g signal :() like when i left dmaups house i had no signal so it just kept saying "searching" luckily there was someone else on their way out that i could follow till i hit something i knew

i got my indash nav, may not be up to date but can still find :q:q:q:q and I like when something tells me when to turn so I can keep my eyes on the road.

I don't know about the TomToms, but Garmins only have free map updates for the first year; after that, you have to pay for them. They have to buy the underlying map files from a supplier (NAVTEQ, in the case of Garmin), so they're passing the cost of the map updates along to you.

there is a way to get free maps but you need to know someone with
computer skills and chicken you dont need 3g for the Google maps
it works off of satellite if you are having problems with getting signal
just turn your phone off then back on assuming that you have
wireless networks off and gps satellites on in settings

there is a way to get free maps but you need to know someone with
computer skills and chicken you dont need 3g for the Google maps
it works off of satellite if you are having problems with getting signal
just turn your phone off then back on assuming that you have
wireless networks off and gps satellites on in settings

ill try that next time it freaks out

Members online