Update on "Toybox" trailer project

What year is the trailer!! Love the Mark tailights or the same year as your car.

It's a 1951 Royal Spartanette made by the Spartan Aircraft company after WWII. It's made of aircraft aluminum and shares similar construction.

I notice you're in Lincoln Park. The shop is in Redford. I'm there a lot. Most of the weekend. If you're free, stop by.

The whole story is at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/340096/5

Wow thats a classic Trailer!! Looks cool. How about 51 Lincoln Tailights Or Like I said just pick lincoln lights to see what would work on the back.
Thanks for the invite Love to see it in person.

I'll Pm you.

3-12-2006

The garage area will be lined with Fiberglass Reinforced Panels. The panels are commonly found in commercial kitchens and freezers. It is brilliant white and has a pebbly finish but non abrasive. The standard moldings are white plastic but I'm leaning towards stainless or aluminum.

The existing wall studs were covered in tar sprayed on the rough interior as a means to deaden both the noise and movement of the aluminum skin. No adhesive would stick to the tar nor would the width of the existing studs be sufficient to glue on the FRP.

I screwed the lumber to the skinny studs to create a much stiffer shell and to create more surface area to apply adhesive. Since the wall stud layout does not match a standard 48" spacing layout I've had to add interim studs to allow for proper attachment of the dividing strips.

The wall and ceiling cavities will be filled with foam for structural rigidity and temperature control.

340096_513_full.jpg
[/img]

3-18-2006

Created a curved finish molding for the door opening that will finish the edge of the FRP that will line the interior.

340096_515_full.jpg

The door seal will sit on top of this molding. The material slot is a little wavy but once filled with the 1/8" panel it will straighten out.

340096_516_full.jpg

Ready for insulation.

340096_517_full.jpg

The wavy molding didn't straighten out when the test panel was installed. I was almost going to spend some big bucks and have some custom aluminum moldings made.

As a last ditch effort I tried some heat. It turned the high spots into mountains but a little more heat softened the material in-between the high spots and the molding flattened right out. I wiped it with a wet rag to cool it and it set perfectly smooth.

3-24-2006

I polished all of the skirting before installation.

340096_518_full.jpg

All of the aluminum exposed edging is covered in chrome door edge molding eliminating the creaking typical of moving panels

340096_519_full.jpg

The (4) 6,000 lifts easily raise the entire trailer 3 feet off the ground.

340096_520_full.jpg

The very last of the sheetmetal work is done except for patching the various roof vents and plumbing stacks no longer needed.The roof will be covered with a rubber membrane like those used on school busses.

340096_521_full.jpg

4-2-2006

The roof rafters on either side of the front roof vent had repeatedly been soaked and had sagged about 1" in the center. This created a flat roof in this area where the rest of the roof is rounded fpr rain removal. You can see how far they were off in this picture.

340096_522_full.jpg

Newly installed roof rafter.

340096_523_full.jpg

There were seven holes in the roof that needed to be sealed.

340096_524_full.jpg

Patches slightly larger than the opening were cut to fit. Cleco fasteners to temporarily hold the panel for drilling.

340096_525_full.jpg

Blind rivets were used as these patches will be covered with a rubber membrane.

340096_526_full.jpg

Finished product.

340096_527_full.jpg

I had enough parts to restore the two roof vents in the garage area but I had to get rid of the tar first.

340096_528_full.jpg

Here's an examole of why more is not necessarily better. There must be 100 rivets holding the vent to the roof. Many of the rivets leaked.

340096_529_full.jpg

Smooth as a baby's behind and ready for rubber membrane installation.

340096_530_full.jpg

Found another dozen rafters that were sagging from 1/4" to 3/4". It was easier to make new ones than trim the old ones. This also restored the proper curvature to the roof.

Now it's ready for foam.

340096_531_full.jpg

4-12-2006 FOAM DAY!!!!!!!

In preparation for foam I realized that I had not installed the new rain gutters above the doors.

340096_532_full.jpg

I also installed the upper door pivots and installed the door so that it could be foamed in its proper position.

340096_534_full.jpg

340096_535_full.jpg

Installed all the wiring and the rear facing camera before the wires were foamed in place.

340096_536_full.jpg

The crew from the insulation company masked off the windows and completely covered the floor and ramps.

340096_537_full.jpg

340096_538_full.jpg

340096_539_full.jpg

340096_540_full.jpg

I'm very glad I had this done rather than doing it myself.

340096_541_full.jpg

Lots of scaping of overspray to do but the spray worked wonders in providing the structural rigidity I was looking for.

340096_542_full.jpg

I'm going to start paneling the garage area first.

Just that closer to completion, great progress. I can understand why you let the insulation company do the work, looking foward to see it when it is completed :cool:

4-15-2006

A couple hours of scraping off the overspray and I was ready to install the Fiberglass Reinforced Panels.

340096_543_full.jpg

Finally, finished surfaces! The FRP is very dimetionally stable but it requires a 1/16th gap in-between panels to allow for expansion.

I wanted a very smooth appearance so I opted to glue the FRP to the wood studs and rafters with a glue specific to fiberglass. The dividing strips were first fastened to the ceiling with glue and staples.

340096_544_full.jpg

I opted for 12-foot lengths which allowed for just one end seam. The sheets are very difficult to handle, making this a two-person job.

340096_545_full.jpg

The adhesive is slow cure so it had to be held in place, under pressure, for 1 to 7 days, depending on temperature and humidity conditions. We've determined that 4 days is sufficient under the manufacturer's guidelines.

340096_546_full.jpg

The cut-offs of the side ceiling panels will become the upper wall panels. That's my carpenter-friend Bill. A true artist.

340096_547_full.jpg

The ceiling is completed. The wall will get covered after I remove the ceiling supports.

340096_548_full.jpg

I should be able to post finished garage area pictures by next weekend

Members online

No members online now.
Back