Update on the 2000 LS8

Travis2000LS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So here I am again. Ive been reading up on some members posts latley. But now here to provide a update..

As some may know I replaced Timing chain tensioners about 6 Months ago and the Tranny about 3 Months ago.. Well Here is the update on the ol' 2000

New/Used Tranny needs a new Torque converter due to terible sound comming from the Tranny..

I need a new Coolant Bypass tube, Along with a new thermostat housing..

Just bought a new Secondary Upper Timing chain " Thanks Christophers Foreign Car Parts " . Was 81.90 With shipping.. Hopefully will see the part in next week .

I use to hear sort of a slapping sound or a metal on plastic kinda sound when up in higher revs like it would hit " Tat.. Tat.. Tat " (Thats the sound lol)

So was thinking the chain was Stretched due to the tensioner being so far bad when i first gt the car and jumping a tooth. Well never really worried about it thought if i babied it I could make due for now.. Well not its going to the part where I can here is driving around casually at 1.5 RMS or so...

SOO . Yep she is running.. Not so good though I guess..

tell me what yall think. Any questions or answers? Pics will come soon.

Oh and also just replaced the Passanger side Tail light bulb -.-
Apparently my tail light is getting water in it, and with the rain we had in Florida last couple of days it hit the hot tail light bulb and shattered it . Yay me.. Now I have to re seal my tail light . Any thoughts on how I would do that with a Messed up housing??

332193_318530268178206_100000637056408_1055836_1377889064_o1.jpg

IMG_20111002_154317.jpg

IMG_20111002_154328.jpg

IMG_20111002_154248.jpg

IMG_20111002_154259.jpg

Wow, you have a lot of stuff that you fixed/needs fixed.

My tails were taking on water. I removed them and found the back side of the housing was actually cracked/melted, not where they are put together. If you have compressed air, you can LIGHTLY put air pressure to the breather tube (with the bulbs still in it) and spray soapy water around it to see where it is leaking. I would check the back of the housing first. To see it on mine, made me think it might be a common enough problem.

sounds like your making progress.... She looks good. hang in there. sure she'll be up and running soon. See if you can find where its leaking first (id imagine somewhere on top) , you might be able to seal it up without taking it all apart... just make sure you get all the moisture out first... if not, just find a replacement, dont waste your time...Good luck buddy

Your car looks great. Im a fan of white ls's. Hope everything gets better with the fixes. I need to fix mine too

For what it is worth, I purchased the HTK-100 timing kit and water pump from Chris and have it in my car. Granted, it is very low miles so far, but it did not go kaput immediately either.

Edit: not go kaput.

We're all skimming the real question here. What does the black LS say on the rear window? "Honk if..." ?

Side glass says. umadbro? And rear glass on the 3rd break light says cool story bro in the toy story logo and to the left of the rear glass says I use to be an adventurer until I took a arrow to the knee.. for all those who play skyrim lol.
And I know where the leak is. My housing is melted I just have to find a way to seal it :/
And the car is running but I have to baby it around to avoided breaking a chain :/
All my parts should be here next week and my baby should be fixed up on the engine aspect . But im going to buy a new tranny for her when I get the money :/

Members online

No members online now.
Back