Unlocking of new ECU - advise?

twinbopilot

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

I have an '06 LS with 73K that I bought really cheap due to its being a flood car. Car is silver with tan leather, fully loaded. It looks great, and I couldn't otherwise afford a 2006 LS so I took a gamble on this one.

I need to unlock a new ECU, and I'm wondering if there is any advise out there on where/who I should use for this service?

I've read other threads that say all that really happens is the ECU has to be "unlocked" to work - its not a flashing process.

I also understand that there is a $1500 scan tool that will do the job, but I don't know anyone with said tool, and I really hate to have it towed to the stealership. I've also heard the stealership sometimes won't provide this service unless you bought the ECU from them, which I did not.

FYI - If I connect a scanner to the car, I get a "NO LINK" message - I assume this is because the ECU has not been unlocked, even though it has been installed.

Nothing happens when I try to crank the engine. I assume again this is due to the ECU not being unlocked.

I also get an ETC failsafe mode / Check parking brake which I've read about here. I guess a new ETC is in my future. Unless the failure is only due to the fact that the ECU is not yet unlocked?

Everything else (almost) works on the car, ie power windows, moonroof, stereo, alarm, dashboard, exterior lights. All fluids have been changed, and all new coils installed. I still have to replace both front seat tracks as the motors are toast, and install a new fan blower.

I'm hoping getting the ECU unlocked will be the last step in actually driving this car. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Dealer only. They need to put the PCM and cluster (and maybe other subsystems) into secure mode to establish comms.
AFAIK, the only tool that can do this is the dealer's Next Gen Start system. Very difficult to find on you own, and even then would be difficult to use without training.

After it runs, then start working on the other issues. Search in this forum, as there's a very good chance your problems have been well documented by others.

If you can't link with the PCM, then there is something wrong with it or with your scan tool. The PCMs are not "locked." You have to put both the PCM and the cluster (where PATS lives) into secure mode so that they can exchange secret keys. After that, the PCM will allow the engine to start. Be sure to take at least two keys with you for this. All keys for the car will have to be re-entered. Note that they won't be able to put the PCM in secure mode if they can't link to it.

I assume that you also replaced the FEM and the REM? They are no higher than the PCM. Those will have to be programmed to match the configuration of your car too. Anyway, you now have a nightmare on your hands. The electronics will never be stable after having flooded.

joegr, I knew I could count on you! You are the most knowledgeable guy out there regarding the LS, IMHO.

Would you mind getting out your spoon and telling me what these others things are that I should have replaced? I don't recognize the acronyms - FEM & REM.

As always, thank you for your valuable time. It is appreciated.

joegr, I knew I could count on you! You are the most knowledgeable guy out there regarding the LS, IMHO.

Would you mind getting out your spoon and telling me what these others things are that I should have replaced? I don't recognize the acronyms - FEM & REM.

As always, thank you for your valuable time. It is appreciated.

FEM = front electronics module.
REM = Rear electronic module.

There are several other modules that will likely have to be replaced. (DATC, DDM, ABS, RCM, DSM, and on and on. Along with these are a whole bunch of sensors, motors, and so on. Also, many of the wiring harness connectors will probably need to be replaced. A year or two down the road, you will have lots of odd problems as you discover that the insides of the wires are actually failing.

Members online

Back