Under Hood Jump Start ?

medphys

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I was totally dead the other day and my owner called GEICO and subsequently they sent a Pop A Lock guy out to jump start me. I was ready for him with my trunk organizer pulled out and my spare cover lifted out of the way. He started it up immediately with one of those ( I need to get one) new chargers. But, he told me that he understood that all cars with trunk battery placement also had a contact under the hood that could be used. Anybody know anything about this?

Wrong.
Most do, but the LS does not. There is a main wiring junction there, but it's not designed for jump starting. That needs to be done from the trunk.

You also need a new battery and may need an alternator.

Wrong.
Most do, but the LS does not. There is a main wiring junction there, but it's not designed for jump starting. That needs to be done from the trunk.

You also need a new battery and may need an alternator.

thanks, But, wait a minute, my battery and alternator are working fine , thanks. .....are you prescient? If so I'm screwed.

It's inside the passenger front wheel well. IIRC.

But that's not a jumper point. I'm sure you could do some real electrical damage by trying to use that point. There's a reason it is difficult to access.

It's a jumper point.

Come right of the + side from the battery, AKA Auxiliary point, continues directly onto the starter.

2011-08-28_224051_1.jpg

It's a jumper point.

Come right of the + side from the battery, AKA Auxiliary point, continues directly onto the starter.

No, it's not. Under hood jump ports are designed to be convenient to use. This junction is not. I have another car with the battery in the trunk that does have an actual jump port under the hood. It is convenient to get to, is labeled as a jump port, and is mentioned in the owner's manual.

It's a jumper point.

?!?!?! Have you ever seen it? That junction, in addition to being behind the inner fenderwell, is just a bolt and nut with a tight fitting weather seal. It'd be very very tough to get a high amp hookup on there.
It'd be better to clamp to the starter posts, but those don't have enough room around them for jumper clamps.

Yes, I've seen it when I did the sway bar bushings I noticed something odd and had a look.

Although inconvenient to get to you can run a set of jumper cables from the battery in the trunk
to the auxillary post in the passenger side fenderwell, it starts the car and everything functions.

It may be used to troubleshoot a short in between.

it's a Auxiliary point and runs to the starter motor with plenty of gauge wire.

Agree to disagree, it's not "meant" to be a jump start point but can be done.

Not very convenient either, however the + side from the battery runs directly through it to the starter.
Why it's there I have no idea, it is labeled as an "auxiliary post", not even in the OM.
There was a rubber flap that had to be lifted out of the way, the whole inner wheel well liner did not need to be removed. IIRC.

Not convenient, not "meant-to-be" ... but can be used to jump start the LS.

Agree to disagree.

the only thing it "should" be used for in an emergency is to apply 12v to unlock doors (if trunk lock is broken).

JROCC missed that part! (one trunk destroyed)

LOL

We laughed .... and he was Canadian too!

...........thanks guys that's the quickest ,bordering on contentious, and most complete investigation and run down of my under hood jump start question, I could ever imagine.

I can just see ya'll on the side of the road with a dead battery and a full, packed to the gunnels trunk. arguing about what to do next.

Will it now go into the REAL OFFICIAL LINCOLN LS OWNERS GUIDE in the Good to know, but don'i worry about it category !!! ?

Agree to disagree, it's not "meant" to be a jump start point but can be done.

Not very convenient either, however the + side from the battery runs directly through it to the starter.
Why it's there I have no idea, it is labeled as an "auxiliary post", not even in the OM.
There was a rubber flap that had to be lifted out of the way, the whole inner wheel well liner did not need to be removed. IIRC.

Not convenient, not "meant-to-be" ... but can be used to jump start the LS.

Agree to disagree.

joegr can't agree with anybody on here because he knows all about these cars....just ask him...

joegr can't agree with anybody on here because he knows all about these cars....just ask him...

I'm not sure how to take that. I agree with lots of people on here, when they are right.

That's because he pretty much does. He also agrees with most and gives gentle correction when someone is wrong, misinformed or otherwise heading down the wrong path.

I would put his advise over any one else here!

That's because he pretty much does. He also agrees with most and gives gentle correction when someone is wrong, misinformed or otherwise heading down the wrong path.

I would put his advise over any one else here!

I beg to differ on that but whatever, everybody has their own opinion

Members online

No members online now.
Back