Under 35 degrees = No start, no crank, no nothing!

ap1975

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok...add this to the list

'01 V8 LS

When the temp drops below 35 the car won't start, won't crank. I don't have any instrument panel lights, but the headlights/interior lights and the radio works. Battery is good, and as soon as it warms up it starts fine.

Does anybody have an idea of what could cause this??

Thanks in advance.

I think that a bad or loose power relay (in the trunk) or loose electrical connection would be a good possibility.

Ok...add this to the list

'01 V8 LS

When the temp drops below 35 the car won't start, won't crank. I don't have any instrument panel lights, but the headlights/interior lights and the radio works. Battery is good, and as soon as it warms up it starts fine.

Does anybody have an idea of what could cause this??

Thanks in advance.

Try this, turn the headlights on, then start the car

the 35 degrees and car warming up could be a coincidence

+1 Joegr

That's an old car, like mine. The relay contacts need to be cleaned or a relay is sticking. They do get old and wear out. Best to pull and inspect contacts, check fuse contacts also. Check ground connections for corrosion.

I think that a bad or loose power relay (in the trunk) or loose electrical connection would be a good possibility.

When I first had trouble with my loose connection in the passenger wheel well it was cold, if I jumped it the car would start and run normal but when it cooled down, it wouldn't start. I even installed a new battery, which helped but it didn't solve the problem. The car would start like normal when it was warm. The battery just didn't have enough to start with a loose connection.

The junction where I had the loose connection is behind the black plastic wheel well cover on the fire wall. Careful to not over tighten the nut.

I had a similar problem last winter. If I did anything I could do in warmer weather without issues (leave the trunk light on for a while) the thing wouldn't start in the morning without a recharge if it was below freezing. The stealership tested the battery and didn't try to sell me a new one. :eek:

I will be checking this connection if it happens again. So far, so good this season.

Members online

Back