Uncomfortable drivers seat

battleborn

LVC Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 2005 LS V6 with only 60k on it and in great condition. I love everything about the car except for the driver seat. I was getting cramps in my legs. I took it to an upholsterer that re-foamed the pan for me. The re-foaming fixed the cramps but I still can not get comfortable. Had anyone else found the LS seats to this uncomfortable? Do I have any other options?

I picked up a 2005 LS V6 with only 60k on it and in great condition. I love everything about the car except for the driver seat. I was getting cramps in my legs. I took it to an upholsterer that re-foamed the pan for me. The re-foaming fixed the cramps but I still can not get comfortable. Had anyone else found the LS seats to this uncomfortable? Do I have any other options?

You're probably alone there..... I've driven for hours upon hours very comfortably. Our longest to date non-stop drive was about 975 miles. I've found the LS seats to be more comfortable than some motel beds!!!!

I would suspect a broken seat (first ever). I'd attempt to find another LS (dealership of some sort), and sit in it. If it differs, keep an eye out for parts or salvaged LS's to swap.

I love my LS seats, never heard anyone complain before....(and they complain about everything around here :D )

aint nothing wrong with my seats, no problem with a 9 hour car ride from detroit to alabama every other month...

did your old car have lazyboy/sofa seats like an old caddy or town car?

yeah surprised at this, I find the LS seat to be just perfect, I don't do the lumbar thing though so i'm all air'd out on the lumbar, downward pitch on the knee adjust, it's a great seat for both short and long drives. If anything, it's the noisy armrest center console that bothers me most.

I had to adjust my seat differently for the two Denver/Atlanta drives I did. After three hours I would get a lot of leg cramping and lower back pain. If fixed it by having the seat bottom tilt slightly down and making sure to move my legs to different positions occasionally. But for regular driving I don't find that comfortable, and use different settings - which I find very comfortable all the time. Kinda weird.

driven mine from North East Ohio to South West Georgia twice non stop and loved driving it.

The only car I have driven for long periods that I liked more was my 81 Catalina, but it also had couches for seats.

If you're used to "command seating" that situates you high up with your calves at a somewhat steep angle, the LS is not going to provide that. High seating is present in SUVs, crossovers, and some sedans like the Ford 500/5th gen Taurus. Its all preference, though. I like my seat low with my legs nearly straight. When I get back in my 97 Taurus, I feel like I'm sitting at a bar stool height- and its as low as it'll go

I am coming out of a 2003 Mustang GT. So I am not looking for the "command" position. I don't fee like the seat bottom is very supportive.

Mine took some getting used to but I like them just fine now. My Super Coupe and SHO both had a longer seat bottom and my legs were used to that.

I wonder if there might be any difference is the seat cushions then? I have the heated/cooled seats on both of mine, and I find the seats very comfortable. I would expect there to be some differences, since the air ducts wouldn't be there.

Put me down as another one who doesn't think they are all that comfy. Far from the worst I've ever had, but not as comfy as I would expect from a luxury brand even if it is a sport model. Mine has the heated/cooled seats. Usually it's a bit better if I take my wallet and checkbook out of my pockets.

Now you want to see some comfy seats, look at the Caddy CTS. I had a set of salvage yard CTS seats in my old S15 pickup, and I could sit in those seats for hours and hours on end comfortably. The only thing I didn't like about the CTS seats was the seatbelts were not adjustable because they were made into the seat, which is not a problem on the LS as the seat belts top mount is adjustable.

To the OP, your upholsterer should be able to adjust materials to make it more comfortable, depending on what you tell him is wrong with the seat. Good luck.

I agree battleborn and Telco, I too wasn't a fan of the seats. I didn't notice it until I had it for a couple of days and my wife said the same thing. I have since gotten used to them and find them to be comfortable enough for my 30 minute commute. I have not take the vehicle on long trips yet but would assume it would wear on you. My car does have the heated and cooled seats. Regardless, I love my car. I've only had it for a few months and I love everything about it.

My favorite seat of all time was in my 1988 Mustang GT with all manual knee bolsters and side bolsters. I could pull the knee bolster out and up into the back of my knees almost to my calf muscles. I wish my LS had this. What I do with the LS is lower the rear bottom cushion and raise the front bottom cushion then inflate the lumbar and raise the seat back then raise the bottom rear cushion so the lumbar feels just right. I akways make sure I can keep contact with the dead pedal though.

Now you want to see some comfy seats, look at the Caddy CTS. I had a set of salvage yard CTS seats in my old S15 pickup, and I could sit in those seats for hours and hours on end comfortably. The only thing I didn't like about the CTS seats was the seatbelts were not adjustable because they were made into the seat, which is not a problem on the LS as the seat belts top mount is adjustable.
I love my CTS seats too! you'd think given the type of car it is that the seats wouldn't be comfortable, but they are very much so, they are hard and sporty compared to like a Deville seat, but it like hugs your body and has awesome support in every aspect. Mine are the fully power drive and passenger, with power lumbar on both. I see how the seat belts not being adjustable might cause a problem for some, but im about 5-10 and never had an issue, and my 6 ft brother in law has never complained when ever I let him use it.

My favorite seat of all time was in my 1988 Mustang GT with all manual knee bolsters and side bolsters. I could pull the knee bolster out and up into the back of my knees almost to my calf muscles. I wish my LS had this. What I do with the LS is lower the rear bottom cushion and raise the front bottom cushion then inflate the lumbar and raise the seat back then raise the bottom rear cushion so the lumbar feels just right. I akways make sure I can keep contact with the dead pedal though.

You could always locate a set and install them. A competent upholsterer should be able to transfer the heat/cool seat parts from the LS seats to the Mustang seats as well.

The problem I had with the CTS seats is the same problem I have with my Silverado seats; the seat belt walks up my shoulder a bit until the edge lays just past the edge of my T-shirt collar. This gives it just enough roll that it lays the edge of the belt against my neck. It never was a problem when wearing collared shirts. I guess that would be more of a wardrobe choice than anything else.

Members online

Back