Uh Oh I Broke It!!!!

JoeyGood

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Went to get in to my car today and as I open the door POP! the door handle breaks on the drivers near the 1/4 panel side. It still works but I don't know how long I have on it. Does anyone know if I can just order the part the broke or do I need the whole assembly since I really don't know what is behind the door? I would like to get the part in fast because I will be replacing the speakers in the door this coming week so I want to get it all done at once.

Welcome to the club... Mark VIII door handles break more than any other car i've ever known. You need to get the whole assembly.

95LSC32V said:
Welcome to the club... Mark VIII door handles break more than any other car i've ever known. You need to get the whole assembly.

Do they come painted or will i have to get that done also?

Hah! I just did this about three weeks ago.

You can get just the door handle. It's about forty bucks from Ford. It cost me $100 to have it painted by a mobile paint guy, which was only because Dark Torreador Red is a tri-coat (read: expensive) paint. The job itself is rather annoying, and I actually plan to put everything back together this weekend.

I even had my uber-badass welder/fabricator friend try to weld it. I didn't think it would work... and it didn't. Pot metal just don't work that way. :D
I'll look around and see if I can get you the PN for the handle.

Please do try to find the part number. I'm being real careful with mine but I know it's gonna break in awhile. The handle on my friend's is already broken.

Called five star but Max will be out till Tues. so the guy said to call back when he is in. So i just have to be real nice nice with it until then :D

95LSC32V said:

which is why i only use the door handle to pop the door ever so slightly, then i grab the top of the door and open it from there.

Hey Joey,
The PN for the door handle (mine is a Gen II) is:

XF3Z-6322405-AA

A couple of helpful hints:

Be prepared to go to Ace Hardware or similar to get some new smallparts to put the door handle assembly back together. There are small pins that go through the handle and the assembly, held on by these small circular little fasteners. Even being careful, I was unable to remove these without damaging them, but I got new ones at Ace. The article mentions something about drilling a hole in the handle to mount the spring. That's malarkey - as long as you orient the spring the same way - you don't have to drill anything. I also found it useful to remove the three torx head screws holding the locking mechanism in place to allow more free movement of the various rods when you're trying to attach them to the door handle.

My best advice is this:

Have the new door handle repainted and waiting before you take anything apart. I'm no super mechanic, but I can do a thing or two on a car and I would rate this as a marginal royal PIA. The only reason is that the work is real tight, and it's tough to stuff your hands through the door. Just pay close attention when you take stuff apart, and you'll see how it goes back together. I'll try to see if I can upload a few pictures of the completed handle assembly tomorrow.

Paul.

Cool thank you for the info. I really appreciate it. Quick question though . Can’t the whole assembly be taken out to do this ? from the pics on that tech article it looks like 2 bolts holding it in. Unless the gen II's differ.

JoeyGood said:
Cool thank you for the info. I really appreciate it. Quick question though . Can’t the whole assembly be taken out to do this ? from the pics on that tech article it looks like 2 bolts holding it in. Unless the gen II's differ.

Yes, the whole assembly is held in with only three 7/16 nuts. One for the keyless entry, and two for the assembly.

But if you want to replace just the handle, you have to take the assembly apart.

Paul.

95LSC32V said:

Nah- back in the day my Wife's VW Golf handle broke every few months. They were sooooo bad even the HELP parts guys ( you know the little red packages at the autoparts store that have nuts, bolts, grommets and the like) have them. In fact I kept 1 in the tool box and 1 in the car they broke so often. They were only $15 and 30 minutes - nothing compared to the $100+ and the 90 min it takes (once painted) on the Marks.

Got to to talk to Max from 5 star today, Knew exactly what i needed and i ordered my stuff. Great guy to talk and deal with and very helpful and explained what i needed to do once i got the part,

5 Star has a new customer :) ME!

Members online

Back