Turning wheel squeek

didjital|

DIDJI
Reaction score
I searched around and really couldn't come up with any terms that really fit this that had any results. Last night I was pulling out of a parking lot and as i was turning my wheels (either way) there is an awful squeek up front.

I can't tell if its on both sides or just one, but it occurs whether im turning hard left, or turning right. I don't hear anything as i'm driving and making turns on the roads and curves in the roads.

It seems its mostly on just harder turns, not fast ones, just sharper I guess you could say. I have stock wheels and the car has spring tech springs on it (1.75")

Any info anyone might have is appreciated! It's under warranty and i'm going to take it in, just curious if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks

If it squeaks at near full turn you probably need to lube your stops. There is a mechanical stop at the extremes of your steering. Just find the stop (probably at the rear of the front tire visable in the wheel well) If you see any shiny metal put a little grease on it and the noise will stop. Unless you have worse problems....

I had that to happen to my Mustang a few years ago. Well, while backing out of a parking spot turned the wheel sharp and WHAM the front driver side of the car hit the ground. The ball joint had popped and that was all she wrote. Anyway yeah go and get that look at.

Update for anyone having this issue possibly,

The cause of the problem they say was a faulty steering knuckle. The part is on order, should be done tomorrow afternoon.

yup ball joint. Is part of the knuckle due to LS design you have to replace the whole knuckle, can't just swap the ball joint. good luck

power steering additive?

Similar problem here on my '04... Awful squeaking/whining when turning at low speeds. Dealer "installed additive" to correct, and I haven't had a problem since. My service invoice lists parts numbers XL-3 and XT-2-QDX.

Just to throw another wrench in the works. Our '04 LS started a minor squeak in the steering column just 2 days before we were scheduled to take it in to the dealer. In our case, they replaced the steering gear and added new PS fluid and an additive. It's quiet as can be now. Talk about good timing! ;)

Part #'s:
5W4Z-3504-A Gear Asy - Steering
XT-2-QDX Fluid - Power Steering
XL-3 Additive

Members online

No members online now.
Back