turn the key to start and nothing happens

lariat

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 lincoln ls. At first I had an intermittent starting problem. I would turn the key to the start poition and nothing would happen just a click sound in the trunk are. then i would come back an hour later and the car would start.
Now the car will not start at all, turn the key and nothing. Battery is good, relays and fuses are good, different keys are all good,what's left besides key switch or starter?

How do you know the battery is good? How do you know the relays are good? How do you know the keys are good?

What do you mean by nothing happens?

V6 or V8?

Please be specific. You turn the key to run, and what happens? (any warning lights, any gauges move, does the radio come on, does the climate control come on, ...)
You turn the key to start, and what happens? (any lights go off, any gauges sweep, do the radio and climate control go off, what does the PATS light do, interior lights on, ...)
What is the battery voltage at the battery terminals, while the key is turned to start? What is the voltage at the front fuse box while the key is turned to start? What it the voltage on the B terminal of the starter while the key is turned to start? How about the S terminal?

thanks, but the problem was the starter dead spot in armature

Thank you for the information request albeit a bit detailed. Just as you assumed I did not check all these things you should have assumed that I did. I know a little bit about what I am talking about. So it was finally the starter. My ace mechanic who refused to believe it was the starter as I had told him right from the beginning, had me go through the entire diagnostic.

so to answer your question yes when I turned the key on the warning light did come on the guages moved and eveything was working fine til I put the ket into the stat position then everything went dead. Checked the battery cecked the relay and the fuses and tried several keys. Also had votage to the starter.

So thanks but real simple change the starter and don't buy cheap chinese ones either.

How do you know the battery is good? How do you know the relays are good? How do you know the keys are good?

What do you mean by nothing happens?

V6 or V8?

Please be specific. You turn the key to run, and what happens? (any warning lights, any gauges move, does the radio come on, does the climate control come on, ...)
You turn the key to start, and what happens? (any lights go off, any gauges sweep, do the radio and climate control go off, what does the PATS light do, interior lights on, ...)
What is the battery voltage at the battery terminals, while the key is turned to start? What is the voltage at the front fuse box while the key is turned to start? What it the voltage on the B terminal of the starter while the key is turned to start? How about the S terminal?

Members online

No members online now.
Back