Turn On Lead - 99STS

djKale

Dearly Departed Friend
Reaction score
I have a 99 STS w/o Nav and I'm trying to find a suitable wire for turning on my sub amp. I have the schematics and found that I can splice into the power antenna module, but I can not find where this wire is routed in the vehicle. I can get to it in the headliner, and I know I can tap into it via the body harness connector underneath the console area, but I don't want to take apart the entire console (or the rear body trim panels, seat back, seat belts, etc).

My schematic says it should be a twisted pair of red and white wires if I am reading it correctly. It also says that there is only one connection between the radio and antenna module (C303 - located under a console trim panel).

I have verified that the wire goes positive when the radio (or CD player) is turned on, but I can not track it down for the life of me. There are two major wiring bundles under the rear seat which lead to the trunk, with red and white wires in abundance, but no twisted red/white pair. There are also four pairs of taped wires which look like they have some type of sheilding underneath the tape.

Can anyone tell me where the antenna wire is routed? Or suggest a different option? I want my amp to operate in the exact same manner as the stock amps - it should stay on when the key is turned off until a door is opened.

Kale

Problem solved! :)

Browsing through the service manual, I found a section called RAP - Retained Accessory Power. This is the system which allows accessory power for 10 minutes after the car is shut off.

I was able to tap into the rear fuse block to access the RAP relay dedicated to the sunroof. It is a blue wire and I had to remove the fuse block to find it. The top of the fuse block just snaps out of its holder so it was a cinch.

The rest was pretty straight forward but when I got everything set-up, there were TERRIBLE rattles coming from the rear panel where the stock subwoofer mounts. I pulled the grille, removed the subwoofer by removing the pastic retainers and no more rattles! Well almost...the license plate rattles a bit but you can't hear it from the cabin. I think it just needs some type of cushion and a couple of screws on the bottom to hold it steady.

Sounds 100 percent better! Now I gotta watch my volume...

Kale

djKale said:
The rest was pretty straight forward but when I got everything set-up, there were TERRIBLE rattles coming from the rear panel where the stock subwoofer mounts. I pulled the grille, removed the subwoofer by removing the pastic retainers and no more rattles! Well almost...the license plate rattles a bit but you can't hear it from the cabin. I think it just needs some type of cushion and a couple of screws on the bottom to hold it steady.Kale

DJ, I get this same rattle, mostly when I hit a bump, but its is annoying enough for me to ask... Did you just reomove the entire SUB off the back deck? I need to keep mine, do you think there is a way to secure those plastic tabs or tape em?? As for the License plate... I figured out how to solve that! Even though there a no screws on the bottom, my plate holder I have has a place for screws, so I got some really short ones (Enough to come throught the other side...) and attached Rubber gomets to the back of the nut! It creates some pressure against the plate and does not rattle at all!

I removed the sub entirely, but you may be able to simply tighten the plastic fastener. I believe it just pushes in an out so you would just have to push it back in if it has rattled loose.

Kale

Members online

No members online now.
Back