TSB 04-12-3 - P1744

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a copy of TSB 04-12-3 for the P1744 code. It has to do with the solenoid pack and engaging the torque converter.

Fluid and filter were changed about 2 years ago when the tranny was rebuilt. Car shifts great just won’t go into over drive. I can try and check level over the weekend but it’s hard since my driveway is on a bit of an angle, not much but still hard to get car level to check.

One other thing I just discovered is that the shop that rebuilt my tranny used Mercon LV vs Mercon V. Could this cause an issue with the LV being Low Viscosity? I live in SoCal and it never gets below 40 degrees.

Last edited:
Ford has this to say about Mercon LV.
Not for use in applications where MERCON® V, MERCON® SP, Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended

They also say very strongly not to mix V and LV. I don't know how you would flush it enough that there wouldn't be any LV left in there, without completely disassembling it and cleaning each part.

Last edited:
Well either way... the LS tranny wasn't designed to use Mercron LV. It's too thin, and uses different chemicals/compounds that aren't compatible.

Also... being thinner (and getting thinner as the trans heats up) it will not create the pressure needed to make the trans function properly.

Sounds like the tranny shop owes you a new transmission... or full rebuild at the very least.

Another thought...

Are you sure the trans isn't going into overdrive... or could it be the torque converter clutch slipping. That would give you a continuous "shudder" while driving.

Try this... while driving on the highway... tap the brake pedal without taking your foot off the gas pedal.

If the rpms rise briefly... and then settles down (and the shudder goes away... then the TCC is slipping.

Either way... it has the wrong fluid in it... and the trans shop definitey still has to "make things right".

Well, there is the major problem. The shop is out of business!!!! Evidently, there are quite a few people that got screwed.

There is no shudder at all. I can’t really tell it’s not in over drive unless I look at the tach and/or the car beeps at me.

Options that have crossed my mind, not necessarily in priority order:

1) add an additive that is compatible with LV to increase viscosity.
2) take to a different shop for a full fluid exchange, TC, cooler, pan drop and filter replace.
And 3) yell and scream and return to #1…

Last edited:
Also, I did the test several times on the freeway going 50, 60, and 70 mph. I kept my foot on the gas and pushed the brakes several times. There was NO increase in rpms nor was there a shudder before or after.

You don't push the brakes (like if you were power braking). You tap the brake pedal just enough to make the brake lights come on for a second. That causes the TCC to disengage.

You should then see the engine rpm rise slightly... then drop back down as the TCC re-engages.

Adding an additive compatible with LV is not going to help since the trans requires Mercron V. The LV is incompatible with the clutches and other parts in the LS tranny... and all those clutches are now saturated with LV.

Even though it is bad news... Joe's info in post #4 is probably accurate... since it came from Ford.

I checked on Ford's corporate parts website and reman trannys are $3600 (with a $1000 core return) but are out of stock. No new stock.

But from a quick glance it seems they do have the clutches (clutch packs) in stock... which are the parts that would neef to be replaced since yours are saturated with the LV fluid.

At this point your best move would be to source a low milage used tranny from a junkyard... and find a reputable tranny shop near you... and have them go through the junkyard tranny.

Sorry for the bad news.

Or... if you want to chance it... go to a reputable tranny shop... tell them what the other shop did... and ask them to flush the tranny and torque converter and refill with Mercron V... and cross your fingers.

Yes I do. Please see attached TSB.

Attachments

• TSB04-12-3.pdf
    8.8 KB · Views: 118

Members online

No members online now.
Back