Trying to identify/find the small coolant hose that runs under the intake manifold

Ghostninja

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey long time lurker first time poster,
I'm helping my brother work on his 2005 LS Ultimate and thanks to this site I was able to replace all the coolant components. When we put the plastic crossover on we accidentally had this small hose I don't know what is called pushed into the serpentine belt and it quickly cut a hole in it. What is this line called and where can I find one? It seems like it runs under the intake and out the back passenger side of the engine. Where does it go?
Thanks for any and all help!
Cade

There are no hoses that run under the intake and out the back of the engine.

There is one hose at the front of the engine that connects to the top of the engine, just under the intake, and comes back out the front and connects to the throttle body. It's one of the two throttle body heater hoses.

There is also the engine bleed hose. It runs from the top of the cross-over/thermostat assembly to the top of the degas bottle. It runs on top of the intake manifold to the side, not under it.

Which one is it that you need the part number for?

The one I need is definitely under the manifold. It comes out and curves aroundthe front of the driver's side head.

Somebody misrouted a hose when they worked on it before then. No such thing on either of mine, any that I have worked on, or on any diagrams that I've seen.
To help, I need to know exactly where it connects at each end, and you need to be willing to route it correctly when you get the new hose.

Ok, it doesn't go around the front of the head I was wrong. It is a throttle body coolant line, the one that goes in the bottom on the driver's side of the throttle body.

Yeah. Throttle body heater hose. Have fun with that. You're gonna have to pull at least the throttle body and elbow to get to it.

It will then still be slightly buried under the intake and behind the gooseneck pipe that mounts to the block. It goes on a barbed nipple on the backside of that.

I pried the old hose off with a large screwdriver... then lubed the nipple with a little coolant, and used a pair of long forceps to wiggle the new hose on.

A pair of bent nose pliers works well on the spring clamp that holds the hose in place.

So one end goes on the throttle body and the other goes on the backside of the plastic piece under the intake that goes between the crossover and the block? Sounds like a nightmare to get to with the intake on...

and the other goes on the backside of the plastic piece under the intake that goes between the crossover and the block?

Not on the back side of the plastic piece... But on the back side of the block flange that the plastic mounts to. It's a standard barbed nipple.

It's not a piece of cake... But unless you want to pull the intake, (and get into all the headaches and potential problems with that), it is doable with some patience.

If you want to "short cut" ... You could maybe splice the hose with a double sided barbed nipple, hose clamps, and an added piece of hose.

No gaurantee on that though because you just created another potential leak point.

Thanks for the help, it has a splice in it right now. Since that is a future failure point and this car has a chocolate cooling system I've ordered the hose and going to replace it. If I can do it with the intake on I'll be happy but if not I've taken it off before to replace that elbow so I can do it again

If you pull the TB and plenum elbow... you might have a shot.

I did that hose when I did a full system rebuild years ago. I cheated though by cutting the bolts on that plastic elbow so I didn't have to pull the intake.

Granted... The X-over thermostat pipe was out of the way also...which helped.

Honestly, it's not that much more work to remove the whole intake. You don't have to take the throttle body and adapter off the intake. You can remove it all as one assembly. It's probably good to go ahead and replace the intake gaskets anyhow.

True for any car that you like enough to keep long enough...

Been a few "next times" after 214k. Won't do the suspension again though even if my LS makes it to 300k... And doubt I will do another full cooling system rebuild. It's starting to get some rocker and quarter panel rot.

I'm starting to face the reality that it's on borrowed time. I really can't complain too much. It has been a reliable vehicle, (hope I didn't just jinx myself).

Members online

Back