trying to get a mk7 going after elec fire

dapoppa

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought my kid an 88 mk7 that had a fire in the antilock brake system. The guy I bought it from was fixing it up as a drag car. he took off the fuel injection and put in a weind xcelerator and holley 4 bbl. He also removed every wire in front of the windshield. I have an 84 I am using for parts. I'm not to worried about all the computer stuff, and have it running, but can't get the alternator to charge. Connections are good and the alternator is too. anyone know what the bare minimum is to make it work? I replaced the wiring with that out of the 84 and hooked up all of it except the one to the computer. Also I have a fuel injection system, manifold through injector rails if anyone is interested. I also have a brand new air suspension computer. If anyone is intersted contact me with an offer.

How's the voltage regulator? Is it hooked up? What about the amp light in the dash? That MUST be hooked up and working in order for the car to charge.

I got the amp light working yesterday. In the processs the clock and the the digital readouts for the rest of that stuff came on line. Still no charge:-( The power windows, seats, moonroof, and trunk release are working. Frustration has made me give up for the time being and start working on the lights. I really would like to get this thing on the road in time to go to the meet in Chicago in aug. any help would be appreciated.

I'm also accumulating a good size pile of useable stuff like head and tail light lens, etc. If anyone out there needs any of this stuff let me know. The 84 motor ran good before I took the waterpump off(bolt holes spaced diff. and no more serp. belt now) I've got too many things here to list, but if you need anything ask and I might have it. The 84 has a blown spider gear in the rear end and the doors are rusty, but the rest is still mostly useable.

I would do yourself a favor and grab an EVTM (Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual) manual for the car. Check eBay, as I've seen them on there. That would help out a TON instead of trying to wing it.

Good luck :Beer

Thanks NYC LSC. You're probably right about the manual. As a 48 yo man hair is too precious to keep trying to do something as frustrating as this without some guidance. I was hoping to get the charging system working first so I wouldn't have to keep swapping fresh batteries. I got the tail lights working today. I'm beginning to think this was a bad idea, but my daughter fell in love with the car and what dad can refuse his little girl?

No problem, man.

These cars are a sickness. I just found a stress crack in my 3500 mile motor, and I'll be rebuilding it AGAIN. Sick....sick I tell ya! :Beer

Staff online

Members online

Back