trunk won't close

mike93continental

LVC Member
Reaction score
I went to close my trunk and all of a sudden it doesn't close. I adjusted the latch on the lid all the way down and it will latch if you slam it real hard but I don't think it should be like that any ideas?

Having to slam it hard means the trunk motor is not working. Do you hear a "whirring" sound when you go to close the trunk? If not check the fuse or you may just have a bad motor all together.

Had similiar problems with my 92 towncar. Check the wiring plug next to the pull down motor on the right side to see if it is loose. If so plug it back in. Also check to make sure the button in the glove box is not sticking, this can also cause the same problem. This resolved the problem on the 92 and everything works ok.

How do I get to the "wiring plug and pull down motor?"

Also my trunk button in the glove box does not work and neither does the fuel door release button. How do I repair these?

On my Continental my fuel door doesn't work either, there is a manual handle that can open the fuel door it is inside the trunk on the right hand side behind the carpet. The wiring for the trunk pull down motor is behind some carpet also, I have a problem with mine as well. When i can i am replacing the pull down motor as well as the part on the trunk lid that attaches to the pull down motor. I had to do this on my 91 Town Car and no more problems since.

The pull down motor is where the latch is for the trunk. Just pull up the carpet a bit and you will find it.

As far as the buttons not working, look in the owner's manual and see if the fuse may be blown for those buttons.

Members online

No members online now.
Back