Trunk Release, no power

Yes, behind the splash shields around the 10:30 position of the wheel, near the door. In Johnod's case, though, he still doesn't have a sufficient power source to jump it there

Yes, behind the splash shields around the 10:30 position of the wheel, near the door. In Johnod's case, though, he still doesn't have a sufficient power source to jump it there

He'd have to have another car to use the car to car cig jumper. Just sayin...

He still needs a power source, which I assume is going to be another car since he ordered the wire.

You can hook up power to that point, but only use it to open the trunk. It's not safe to jump it from there. Another option is to pull the lighter out and connect to it's plug, which is marginally easier than trying to jury rig a cigarette lighter connection.

Having constant-on cigarette lighters is one of the little things I look for in a car, even if it's just 1 of 3, in the glovebox.

I'll try the wire gizmo when it gets here, if that fails we'll try behind the wheel, just to open the trunk.
Does any thing have to be removed to access the wheel well point/connection?

And the bad thing about that is you have to remove that splash shield, which has no clearance to get at because of the tire in the way, requiring that you at least jack the car up to get the plastic shield out of the way, which requires that you get the jack out of the trunk, which you can't get to because of no power and in the OP's case the key lock won't work. At least Lincoln did include a key lock for the trunk.

Get into the back seat, the back seats can be pulled forward, reach into the trunk and you will see a pull leaver that you can pull, pull that and your trunk will pop open.

You probably missed the recall/TSB for the seat back latches. If the OP has correctly working latches (like most of us) then the seat backs can't just be pulled forward. I suggest that you get yours fixed as it is a safety hazard for your rear seat passengers.

Oh yeah, i guess i did miss the recall... i can just pull my forward without any struggle... is it a free fix?

It's just an adjustment if I remember correctly. Try slamming your seat backs closed and see if they latch then.

Lubed the lock cylinder, no dice. Also tried my spare key, no dice (verified it to work in ignition and door lock). Emergency trunk release also works fine. Time to bring the cylinder to a lock smith I guess.

Lubed the lock cylinder, no dice. Also tried my spare key, no dice (verified it to work in ignition and door lock). Emergency trunk release also works fine. Time to bring the cylinder to a lock smith I guess.
Yes, I would want that to work.

I wonder if the trunk lock cylinder is nothing more than an electrical switch with no mechanical linkage to the lock. The key works quite smooth when the battery is connected, but it will not open the trunk when the battery is disconnected; at least on my Gen II. By the way, the valet key will only work for the door and ignition; if you lock the glove compartment and the trunk push-button with the standard key, the valet key will not open them. That's to have valet's just drive, park and lock the car without being able to roam through the glove compartment and/or trunk.

I wonder if the trunk lock cylinder is nothing more than an electrical switch with no mechanical linkage to the lock. ...

Not this again.
It's purely mechanical. The lock cylinder pulls on a cable that opens the latch. I assure you that if it works at all, then it works with the battery disconnected. Both of mine do, and I don't think that they are special in that way.

I have a cord that connects one cars cig lighter port to another cars, I sits under the passenger seat in the event this happens to me (it has) and it works to get enough juice to pop the trunk. I also keep regular jumpers in the trunk for once its open. It claimed to supply enough juice to jump a car but there is no way in hell that would ever work.

They carry them at most auto parts stores. I think mine was like 10-15 bucks

similar to this one,

http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-EL9796-...082&sr=8-21&keywords=power+port+jumper+cables

Got the gizmo above, tried it, and it worked, Thanks, cheaper than breaking something trying to get it, :)

Once I was in I removed the lock cylinder, and that is the problem, not the mechanism or the cables, I'll take it to a locksmith see what he can do, I don't care if he guts it so any screwdriver will work, that's fine by me.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Update:

Took out the lock cylinder, soaked it with brake cleaner and viola! Fixed. A lot of black gunk came out in the process. The cylinder itself was stuck inside the metal housing and could not turn, the pins were fine. Why haven't I done that sooner?

Members online

No members online now.
Back