Trunk lock problems

suncoaster

LVC Member
Reaction score
My '85 Mark VII power trunk lock used to work flawlessly, but now it is giving me intermittent problems; sometimes it will latch but not power down (close) and sometimes the glove box release switch won't open the trunk. I'm afraid I'm going to get locked out of it soon and need an alternate way to open the trunk, preferably mechanical, as I don't use the keyless entry.
Could also use a wiring diagram of the trunk system if anybody has one and could post it here.

Thanks for replies; actually, I think the problem is in the wiring to the pull-down motor, as when this motor runs, it sounds fine. Right now, it's stopped in the pulled-down position, so I can close, lock and unlock the trunk with either the glove-box switch or the keyless entry code.
Wiring diagram would help a lot.

suncoaster said:
Thanks for replies; actually, I think the problem is in the wiring to the pull-down motor, as when this motor runs, it sounds fine. Right now, it's stopped in the pulled-down position, so I can close, lock and unlock the trunk with either the glove-box switch or the keyless entry code.
Wiring diagram would help a lot.
Remove it and test it with 12 volts or use a multimeter to verify voltages in.

The diagram you seek lies with the EVTM for your year.
See: http://www.faxonautolit.com/

Many thanks, Oldschool1; that manual should be on the way. Looks like it's just what I need.

had similar problems on my Mark VIII.

Was being caused by a broken wire in the harness where it came out of the side of the trunk liner and went up to the trunk lid. The wire broke from rubbing against the trunk liner.

Where the problem comes and goes I'd look for loose/bad connectors, broken/cut wires etc.

mach8 said:
had similar problems on my Mark VIII.

Was being caused by a broken wire in the harness where it came out of the side of the trunk liner and went up to the trunk lid. The wire broke from rubbing against the trunk liner.

Where the problem comes and goes I'd look for loose/bad connectors, broken/cut wires etc.
Agreed.
What my EVTMs do is narrow down my problems by telling the way things are ~supposed~ to be. When I start trouble shooting a circut, I'm armed with the correct conditions making spotting the incorrect condition much more visible.

Shop manuals and EVTMs pay for themselves after the first or second use. Wait until Dude sees how many ground wires our Mark VIIs have :)

Members online

Back