Trunk Leak 2000 LS

Joe88

LVC Member
Reaction score
During the end of the winter I was working on my car and noticed that the spare tire well had 3 inches of water in it. So I pulled the plug and cleaned the well out only to have the water return at the next wet snow/rainy winter day. I tried to make it leak with a hose but it did not leak at all. It needs constant rain to leak.

At first I pulled the taillights and sealed them with silicone caulk. During the next long rainstorm at the end of winter I noticed that sealing the taillights did not help at all. The leak was coming from the trunk lid itself and draining at the center of the trunk gasket and dropping into the spare tire well. I then had to resort to drying everything again, popped the rear seat and pushed it down and closed the trunk. I let the car sit for a few hours in the rain and then I climbed into the trunk from the back seat.

This was the only way I could find the leak. While in the trunk I could see the leak coming in at the vertical part of the trunk gasket. The upper horizontal part of the gasket was dry and the lower part was wet. My guess was that the water was wicking around the gasket at the vertical portion and just draining into the car. Using the hose does not work because the water wicks around the gasket and that takes some time before it really is noticeable that it leaks. No other area was wet to show more water infiltration in the trunk. The next warm day I dried the trunk again and pulled the trunk gasket. The trunk gasket does have a sealant that holds it and seals it. But, time apparently made the sealant useless. I cleaned all surfaces and the inner portion of the seal and applied silicone caulk to all affected areas.

The end result is that after three days of solid rain my trunk is bone dry. So if you have a trunk gasket leak double check your seal under the trunk gasket. I am glad that the leak stopped and I do not have to buy a very expensive Lincoln trunk gasket at $140.

I hope this helps somebody else out also.

This was huge help I noticed water in the trunk before started my restoration project thanks for the tip

Your welcome Renzo

Well it has been many months since the gasket repair and I have not had anymore water in the trunk. Sometimes you don't have to spend much money to fix a problem (1 tube of silicone).

Hi Joe,

Can you take a quick pick on exactly where the water is coming from and your fix. As I am having the same issue, water in the trunk, and can't what are you are speaking of.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Robert

I did everything you said and I've still got water after last nights rain storm. Can you give us some pictures indicating where and what you mean thanks!!!!

you can also run a hose over the top of the car and climb in and look... no need to wait for the next rain.

if its not the main seal, then spray the rear lights and surround too

It will also happen if you are not parked on level ground. The water will pool up at one of the sides along the base of the rear window and wick under the trunk's weatherstripping. I took mine off and just wiped it since I did not have caulking at the time and it worked for quite a while. Eventually it will do it again though so it does need caulking applied to truly fix it. Be sure to dry the trunk out well and leave it open as long as possible, and leave the trunk carpet pieces (with the sound deadening material attached) out of the car to dry for a couple days.

I heard that it is sometimes the moon roof drain that can fill the trunk- have not experienced that first hand though (except for on the front pillar).

There is no need for a picture. Just pull off the trunk gasket, clean it and reinstall/reseal it with pure silicone(no latex crap).

As mentioned earlier take the taillights out and seal the bolt holes and other openings around the taillights to the trunk with pure silicone.

I still have no leaks in my trunk.

Members online

No members online now.
Back