trunk latch mechanism problems

keVIIIn

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm in kind of a pickle right now..I dropped my car car off yesterday at the body shop to get my rear bumper and hood repainted and I got a call today from the shop manager saying there was a problem getting into the trunk. Now since the beginning I've never had a trunk key, original owner lost it and I just never got one made..I know I know..my fault. I've had an issue with the wires stretching on the trunk hinge before interfering with the trunk carpet..but never had any broken wires which I know is a common problem with the 1st gens. Well the shop manager said they removed rear bumper and started on body work and when they went to open trunk again it wouldn't open and said the door locks were acting up and smelled like something was shorting out or like burning electronics. And now they can't get back into the trunk since no key. On top of this I'm at work till tomorrow morning and can't do anything about it right now. I told him to get ahold of a good lock smith and see if he could pick the trunk lock to get in. I'm hoping its just a broken wire near the harness on the trunk hinge..but it kind of scares me that the automatic door locks are aren't working and theres a burning smell! Could the fact that the trunk release wire being broken cause a short and pop a fuse associated with the door locks also?? Any other ideas on how to get into the trunk?

Members online

Back