Trunk and fuel cap door release mechanisms

P

poschultz

My fuel cap door and trunk release buttons in the glove box do not work any longer. In addition, the trunk release on the remote control does not release the trunk.

I have to use a key to open the trunk and then pull the fuel cap door release wire that is inside the trunk whenever I fill up with gasoline. Quite an inconvenience.

BTW, the trunk close mechanism IS working fine.

I have a 1992 Lincoln Continental

Thanks for your help. :)

ok, 1st. do you here them 'pop' when you try to use them??

if so, then lets start with the gas tank release. Most likely just need to bend the metal 'tab' that actually holds the door shut slightly. I had to do this on mine. The way that release works, there is a solenoid that pulls on a cable. that cable is connected to a small spring steel part that actually holds the door shut. the door is spring loaded (as you know), so that when the metal spring steel part pulls away from it (towards rear of car if I recall correctly) it will open. My car had this problem, and thats what I did to fix it. a very small amount of 'tweaking' was needed on the spring steel part.

the trunk popper is mounted in the trunk lid itself. I am not sure of how its connected to the latch, so I can't help ya much there.

here is another thought. if they 'pop' when activated, but dont release, there is a possibility of an electrical problem causing your voltage to be too low. I know if my battery is weak, and I try to release my gas cap, it will pop, but not release. the solenoid dont have enough 'grunt' to pull the latch open.

if your not getting any pop's when using them, then you need to check all your fuses first (there are possibly more than one that feed these items, ford is notorious for that).

If both went at once a fuse is most likely the culprit. I'll get the numbers to check later, when i get home.

No "pop" when I push the button in the glove box. I'll check fuses tomorrow.

No "pop" when fuel door button in glovebox is pushed or when I use the key fob. I'll check the fuses tomorrow.

what did you mean by this?
I'll get the numbers to check later, when i get home.

Trunk release using key fob or glovebox button -no working

Time to resurrect my previous post. Hopefully someone has experienced this problem AND solved it.

My fuel cap door and trunk release buttons in the glove box do not work any longer. In addition, the trunk release on the remote control does not release the trunk.

I have to use a key to open the trunk and then pull the fuel cap door release wire that is inside the trunk whenever I fill up with gasoline. Quite an inconvenience.

BTW, the trunk close mechanism IS working fine. Also, I can unlock and lock the doors using the key fob. I just cannot open the trunk with it.

I have a 1992 Lincoln Continental

Thanks for your help.

the ONLY thing they have in common is the ground.

fuse 6 is for the trunk release, fuse 10 for the fuel door.

That ground is also the ground for the pull down, which you say is working.

the location of it is "Center rear of trunk, LH side of latch striker " if that helps any.

the splice locations for the ground are:
trunk release: "Luggage compartment jumper harness, near T/O to right license lamp"
fuel release: "Window regulator jumper harness, near T/O to hi mount stop lamps"

All the grounds in these circuits are black wires.

12v to fuel release is on a w/pk wire (white with pink tracer)
12v to trunk release is p/y (pink with yellow tracer).

as far as decoding that, your guess is as good as mine. those are direct copy/paste from the EVTM for a 92.

Members online

Back