Troubleshooting help!!!

JerzyHustler

LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay, after making a couple other posts and reading some older posts I am no longer sure what my problem is. Here is the story so far....

Roughly three days ago I go to the gas station, 2000 v8 is running fine before I go to put some gas in my car. I go to a gas station and tell the guy to put in super, unfortunately I didn't watch what he put in there like I normally do. So, after driving around 40 miles or so I notice my car is running really rough. When stopped at lights the idle was dropping really low and the car was studdering like it wanted to cut off. The next morning when I went to start it up, it actually hesitated and didn't turn over right away.

Now I decided to put some gas treatment in figuring I got some bad gas, mind you the car is still running rough. I have to drive another 40 miles or so back to work, now when I am getting ready to come home is where the real trouble starts. I go to get in the car, it is still sounding the same, I drive back into town and while at a light I hear this knocking noise coming from the engine. So I go straight to the gas station and put some ultra from sunoco in there hoping it would subside. Nothing, the knocking is still there, so I then decide to park the car till I can find out what the problem is. So I drove very little while the car was knocking.

After doing some reading I heard some other guys talk about a knocking in the rear of the engine that could come from a bad tensioner on the timing chain. The area the knock is particularly coming from is right behind the valve cover.

What do you guys think, I really need some serious help on this one?

UPDATE!!!

Well after going around to a couple shops, one guy told me to get my Engine replaced, which he could do for the low price of approximately $4k. Then I take it over to another shop, one my father recommended, and the guy was honest. I only told him that there was a knock coming from the top of the engine and he hit the nail on the head. He opened her up and saw that it was the tensioner, fortunately nothing else was damaged. So after paying around $1k for that plus some miscellaneous things I am on the road once again.

Thanks, to those who helped somewhat, and thanks Quick for responding.

congrats on saving $3000!!

did you call the first shop and tell them them that they suck?

Members online

Back