troubleseeking experience needed on 98 conti

Mr3000

New LVC Member
Reaction score
maybe some one out there can help;
I have a 98 conti (v8 4.6L) with very high milage. Beautiful traveling car, runs fine. However, lately it began occasionally cutting off on me while i'm driving! This has happened right after I cranked the car up and got down the road about an eighth mile(30 sec.); also while I was already on the interstate for about an hour. After the hesitaion in acceleration I virtually lose all horsepower until I come to a stop then the car dies, or drifts to a stop-the power steering tightens up before I stop and also the brakes stiffen. Most interesting is that right after every "shutdown", I put it in park, turn right over and keep going on for long periods of time! Performance symptoms are acceleration hesitation at higher speeds (80mph), occasional rough starts, and seemingly overall lack in horsepower. I recently changed my spark, fuel fil.,etc. Under the hood noticed an oil leak on the beltside of the engine with oil traces on belt and alternator. Also, menu display (in green showing mileage, etc.) in bottom right corner of the instrument panel isnt showing, think it maybe the bulb? I dont know, could use the help.

hows the weather up there in spartanburg? i'd go to autozone and get them to run a diagnostic on your car maybe that'll pin point the problem

Members online

Back