Trouble reading OBDII codes

Ron Sircar

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm having some issues trying to pull codes from my 2003 Lincoln LS V6, initially when I got the car it had a no start issue related to PATS, I eventually managed to resolve that by swapping in the ECU guage cluster and ignition switch from a running 2004 Lincoln LS V6.

Now that the car is running, I am trying to read codes to find out why the check engine light is on, I borrowed a generic OBDII reader from a friend, however it keeps reporting error when I try to download the codes to see whats going on

Is there any preferred brand of reader I should try or are all pretty much the same? would there be an issue because I changed ECU's? or does this indicate an issue with the wiring harness itself?

First, your reader has to be CAN compatible. If it is not, then that would explain the problem.

You really should be looking for a Ford specific scanner as it can pick up so much more information and can help troubleshoot other systems. I have autoenginuity, but it may be more then you want to spend. Others on this forum have Forscan, and it seems to be very capable at very low cost.

Whatever the issue is, I'm sure it's not because you have a 2004 PCM in a 2003 car.

First, your reader has to be CAN compatible. If it is not, then that would explain the problem.

You really should be looking for a Ford specific scanner as it can pick up so much more information and can help troubleshoot other systems. I have autoenginuity, but it may be more then you want to spend. Others on this forum have Forscan, and it seems to be very capable at very low cost.

Whatever the issue is, I'm sure it's not because you have a 2004 PCM in a 2003 car.

Thanks for the information once again, the one I borrowed is a Geniscan GS100 made by a company called Autel, I am not sure it is CAN compatible, at least I don't find any mention of it in the booklet.

I will try to get my hands on a Forscan unit

Thanks for the information once again, the one I borrowed is a Geniscan GS100 made by a company called Autel, I am not sure it is CAN compatible, at least I don't find any mention of it in the booklet.

I will try to get my hands on a Forscan unit

Forscan is the program you use on an andriod tablet or phone it is free.

A $10 bluetooth adapter gets it going.

search this forum for forscan

Cheap ($10-25) adapters can be hit or miss. Both of mine were hits, though 2 years later, one (iDiagnose) may be failing. The 4 year old one (all-blue BAFX) is fine. I haven't seen either online recently though

Members online

Back