Trouble Ahead

Lugi20

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Long time reader... first time poster...

I had been experiencing some trouble with my 94' Mark; downshifting while on the highway, shuttering when moving between 25 and 40 mph... I assumed trany trouble and took my car to Aamco to see if they could find something that could be fixed for hopefully less than the value of the car, but they told me there were no problems with the trany but they tested the engine and gave me a failure codes list and small discription as fallows:

Lincoln Mark VIII failure code lits:
Code Description
116 ECT or EOT Snsr (Sensor I guess) out of Range
811 Fipl ckt higher/lower then expected
157 Mass Airflow (MAF) signal too low
634 Manual lever pos sensor out of range

I really don't know what most of this means as I am not a mechanic myself, but I do small maintenance (oil changes, replace air filter, fuel filter, blah blah blah). Anything that anyone could tell me would be very appreciated, you all know how we feel about our Marks... I would just like to see mine healthy again. Thanx!

That 634 code I think is for the MLPS. You might want to start there by replacing that. It is on the side of the trans. Maybe a few more "experts" can chime in.

First off :W to the LvC!

As for your problems.....the shuddering might have something to do with the fluid that is in your tranny. You can replace the fluid in the torque convertor and the tranny with Mercon V....it has to be the Mercon V. If you do not feel good about doing this yourself, then you can purchase the Mercon V, and take it to a tranny shop and have them flush out the old fluid and replace it with the Mercon V (most shops do not carry the Mercon V.....and try not to purchase the Mercon V from the dealer.....it will be like 10 times more expensive).

As for your fault codes.....code 634 sounds to me that you may have the MLPS (Manual Lever Position Sensor) going bad. Somewhat of a problem that some Mark's have.....higher mileage ones at least. The MLPS sensor is a lil black box on the drivers side of the tranny.......and it does just what it says.....

I am not sure about the other fault codes, maybe someone else can chime in and give you some more info. One thing you may want to try, have them reset, and see if any of them come back, sometimes they are old faults that have not been cleared and they will return (the code that is) if they were not cleared from prior service.

Oh....NEVER, EVER take your car to Aamco....they are HORRIBLE to say the least.

Cool, how much Mercon V should I buy?

I think I'll take the Mark to a dealer just to have them check it up... its worth the $50 bucks I think. Thanx again guys.

12 quarts.....6 quarts for the tranny, and 6 for the torque convertor. There is a drain plug at the bottom of the torque convertor (you can get to it thru the rubber plug in the bell housing).

Members online

No members online now.
Back