Tripminder reads "DTE 0" --1991 MARK VII

RONINASAUNA

LVC Member
Reaction score
Upon start up or, key to "on" position, Tripminder displays "DTE 0" and alarm clock "chime" continuous "Beep" noise is heard and unable to be shut off until key is removed from ignition.

It's not the door chime. I also checked and removed #6 fuse and this also disables the chime from the tripminder, but I can't just leave that fuse out.

I ordered a service manual off Ebay, so hopefully can track this down.

Anyone have any info on "DTE 0" with a continuous chime unable to be stopped?

thanks and have a great day!

Bad ground. Search the web for "Orange wire ground".
Bad connections. Brass and alluminum don't like each other. Clean them with a small piece of Scott Brite pad.
Bad unit. Replace it with a 1990 - 1992 unit only.

Let us know how you made out.

thanks all :)

Received the service manual in the mail (finally) - thank you Ebay..lol

Was able to reset the "DTE 0" on the tripminder by disconnecting the battery momentarily as per the service manual.

Now the other problem I can't seem to repair.........

The warning chime module has 2 distinct sounds. The "ding" chime one where ignition "on" and the door open or headlamps on. And the other "high pitched" tone when one of the tripminder buttons are pressed. However the "high pitched tone" continuously sounds after the "ding" chime is finished. The only way to stop the tone sound is to disconnect the warning chime module, disconnect the tripminder or disconnect pin from ckt#183 in the connector.

I have to somehow diagnose this , and I will attempt to follow the "Warning chime diagnostic procedure" outlined in the service manual.

It has to be a bad chime module, tripminder or faulty ground somewhere I would think. Hopefully the circuit doesn't run into another complicated harness somewhere and make me have to rip open the dash to get access to probe connectors,relays and switches :(

Can't seem to find any info regarding this anywhere on the net, if someone had experienced a problem like this before.

Man there is no room under the dash of this car....lol

Here goes nuttin I guess :)

followed the flow chart diagnostic for the tripminder as per the service manual and all systems= ok

followed the flow chart diagnostic for the warning chime module connector harness circuits and all systems =ok

however the warning chime module "chimes" correctly but still makes the constant "high pitched" tone.

all circuits checked for continuity and 12v =ok

I am assuming the warning chime module is internally faulty somehow...

Wish I had a "known good" module laying around to test it..lol

Do they even make these anymore? :)

thanks

Check to see if your air bag light works, If not it will trigger a series of 5 beeps of a different tone. This indicates the warning light is out. You can go to www.helms.com and buy an electrical trouble shooting manual for you car. They cost about $20.00 butare well worth the money. My DTE worked in cold weatheer, but not in the warm weater- drove me crazy. Finally tracked it down to loose connection at fuel sender
Good Luck!

Members online

Back